Persons who are homebound may benefit from Meals on Wheels. A noontime meal is delivered five days a week with frozen and sack meals available for evenings or weekends. Clients have daily contact with their meal deliverer, who is instructed to note any changes in the person’s health or living environment, as well as what to do in case of an emergency.
Persons who can travel locally may enjoy lunch at one of several meal sites. Sites are based in senior centers and senior housing complexes, which may offer other activities including crafts, exercise classes, senior trips and much more. To make a reservation for lunch at one of the sites, call the site by 11am the day before you plan to come.
Those who eat at the meal site may choose from two different entrée options. Choice is important for nutrition. An alternate dessert option to the standard dessert listed on the menu is offered. Typically, the alternate dessert is lower in calories, fat and simple carbohydrates.
Socialization is an important part of the meal site experience. Themes and activities are offered daily to enhance the meals program wellness aspect.
Utilizing the services of local restaurants, Silver Select allows seniors to enjoy many of the same foods they always have, while incorporating them as part of a healthy eating plan. For a suggested donation, persons age 60+ can purchase certificates redeemable for a meal at participating restaurants. Certificates may be purchased from any Area 9 meal site. Certain restaurant hours and restrictions may apply.
Participating Restaurants (subject to change please check with meal site):
- Carla’s Café - (Hagerstown Su-W 6am-3pm, Th-F 6am-8pm)
- Dunn's Steak & Buffet - (Connersville M-Su 11am-8pm)
- Lee's Famous Recipe - Connersville (carryout)
- Lee's Famous Recipe - Richmond (regular operating hours)
- Liberty Bell (Liberty Sun - Sa 6am - 8pm)
- Mancino's - Connersville (Su-Sa 11am - 10pm)
- Nancy's Main Street Diner (Hagerstown Sun Sat 7am - 3 pm)
- Pioneer Restaurant - (Brookville Su-F breakfast 8am-10am, lunch 10am-1pm)
- Southern Style Family Diner (Connersville M-Sa 7 am-9pm, Su 8:30 am-8pm)
- Parkview Restaurant - (Connersville M-Sa 5am - 8pm, Sun 5:30 am - 12:40pm)
Meals are approved by a registered dietician and are planned so as to contain Dietary Reference Intake (DRI).
Those participants following a physician prescribed diet are asked to confer with their physician prior to starting meals to ensure offered meals meet dietary restrictions.
A monthly newsletter is provided to all meal recipients, containing nutrition education, articles of interest and a menu for the coming month’s meals.
For those who do not qualify for Meals on Wheels delivery and are able to pay full price for the meals, Private Pay meals are available. The meals are billed at cost and are available to anyone. Private Pay meals may be more appealing for several reasons:
- No government eligibility requirements
- No waiting lists
- No intruding questions
- Persons of all ages are eligible and additional meals may be received upon request
Convenient monthly statements for either private pay costs or donations are available to clients. The statements may be sent directly to the client or to a family member/ loved one who is responsible for payment. Donations for meals may also be given to the meal deliverer on a weekly basis. Your donation will help us serve more meals to others. A suggested donation is encouraged. Please refer to the Neighborhood Meal Sites listing for locations.