Registration for the Summer and Fall 2008 semesters began for continuing students this past Monday, March 24th. Open registration for all students began on Friday, March 28th. By now you should have either met with an advisor or have made plans to do so. If you are considering distance education classes, please read the rest of this update very carefully.
It is a fact that not all students are equally suited to taking distance education classes. Before considering distance education, you should ask yourself a few questions:
- Am I self motivated or do I need someone else to motivate me?
- Do I tend to get started early on assignments or do I procrastinate?
- Can I learn on my own from reading or do I need classroom discussion to help me understand concepts?
- Am I comfortable with technology?
- Do I have good time management skills?
- Can I schedule time alone each week to keep up with my classes?
- Do I have a place in my home, or elsewhere, where I can do my coursework?
If you answered no to any of those questions, distance education may not be the best option for you. There is nothing wrong with needing the outside motivation and in-class discussion of a traditional classroom based course. It just means that you may not be suited to online learning. Please see [link redacted] for more information about distance education courses including an online Distance Education Readiness Survey. As always, if you have any questions or need assistance please feel free to call me at 765-973-8312 or e-mail me at email@example.com.
Until next time, good luck in all that you do!