IU East Catalog

Academics and Class Standing

At Indiana University East, full-time / part-time enrollment status is determined based on the number of credit hours enrolled per semester:

Enrollment Status
  Undergraduate Students Graduate Students
Full-time status 12 or more credit hours 8 or more credit hours
3/4 time status 9 - 11 credit hours 6 - 7 credit hours
1/2 time status 6 - 8 credit hours 4 - 5 credit hours
< 1/2 time 1 - 5 credit hours 1 - 3 credit hours

Class standing is based on the number of credit hours you have alreadly completed.

Class Standing
Class Current Credit
Hours Required
Effective Fall 2015 Credit Hours Required
Freshman 0 - 25 credit hours 0 - 29 credit hours
Sophomore 26 - 55 credit hours 30 - 59 credit hours
Junior 56 - 85 credit hours 60 - 89 credit hours
Senior 86 or more credit hours 90 or more credit hours

Course Load

Students may register for a single course or for a full course load. Students who register for 12 or more credit hours in a fall or spring semester, or 6 credits in a summer semester, are considered full-time students. Full-time students should carry at least 15 credit hours during each semester of the regular academic year (i.e., each fall and spring term), if they expect to complete degree requirements within the usual 4-year timeframe. Except with special permission, students are not permitted to enroll in more than 18 credit hours in the fall or spring and in no more than 9 credit hours during either of the two summer sessions. A 3.00 grade point average is generally required before such permission will be granted.

Changing Your Major

In the academic life of many students, there comes a time when they feel the need to “change their major” or academic plan. At IU East, it is a relatively simple process to change one’s major. Students are encouraged to meet with both their current academic advisor, as well as an academic advisor in the program in which they are interested, prior to changing their major. Here are the steps to follow:

  1. Pick up a “Change of Major Form” from your academic advisor or the Office of Student Records, Whitewater Hall, Rm 116, or download it from the Registrar's website.
  2. Seek educational advice from your current academic advisor.
  3. Take the Change of Major Form to your new academic advisor.
  4. Bring the completed and signed Change of Major Form to the Office of Student Records (WZ 116) for processing.