B.S. in Secondary Education, Social Studies (120 cr)
This degree will license you to teach in both Middle and High School in the selected content area. General education requirements vary slightly from program to program.
Additional Requirements (0-2 cr)
First-Year Seminar (0-2 cr)
Students entering the program with less than 12 credit hours of transferable credit are required to complete the First Year Seminar (UCOL-U 101).
Professional Education Requirements
Foundations (9 cr)
- EDUC-F 203 The Adolescent Mind
- EDUC-M 300 Teaching in a Pluralistic Society
- EDUC-K 306 Teaching students with Special Needs
Methods (13 cr) [Must be admitted to TEP]
- EDUC-M 314 General Methods for SH/JH/MS Teachers
- EDUC-M 401 Laboratory/Field Experience
- EDUC-M 452 Methods of Teaching SH/JH/MS English
- EDUC-M 464 Methods of Teaching Reading
Student Teaching Semester (15 cr)
Skill Review Courses (optional, as needed)
Secondary Social Studies Major
Social Studies courses are grouped into areas. Students must choose one primary and one supporting area. 30 of the 54 credits must be at the 200 level and above.
- From the primary area, choose 36 credit hours.
- From the secondary area, choose 18 credit hours
Primary History Area
- HIST-H 105 or HIST-H 106 United States History
- HIST-H 108 or HIST-H 109 World History
- HIST-H 217 Historical Perspectives
- HIST-A 363 Indiana History
- HIST-H 232 20th Century World History
- HIST-J 495 Senior Seminar
- Also required: 3 upper level World history courses and 3 upper level US history courses. See your advisor for options.
Primary Political Science Courses
- POLS-Y 103 American Government
- POLS-Y 105 Political Philosophy
- POLS-Y 107 Comparative Government
- POLS-Y 212 Making Democracy Work
- POLS-Y 307 Indiana Politics
- Choose 4 of these:
- Choose 2 of these:
- Choose 1 of these: