Minor in Coaching (HPER)
If you have any questions or are interested in obtaining either of these minors, please contact Mary Freeland at 765-973-8480 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Her office is in Tom Raper Hall, room 353.
Minor Requirements (15 cr)
This minor is open to any IU East student. Students must be in good academic standing.
Course numbers pending approval. Please contact School of Education for Fall enrollment information.
- Fundamentals of Human Movement
- Principles of Athletic Training and Emergency
- Theories of Conditioning for Coaching (limited to coaching minor students or permission of instructor)
- Pre-requisite: EDUC-P 280
- Philosophical Foundations of Coaching (limited to coaching minor students or permission of instructor)
- Practicum in Coaching (Junior/Senior standing and admission to the Coaching Minor) CPR and First Aid Certification must be completed and recorded prior to enrollment in P455.
- Select 2 credit hours from the following:
- Coaching of Football
- Coaching of Basketball
- Coaching of Baseball
- Coaching of Cross Country, Track and Field
- Coaching of Soccer
- Coaching of Volleyball
- Principles of Sports Officiating
The remaining two credits will be selected from the courses below which include coaching of a variety of individual, dual, and team sports as well as a sports officiating class. Students must take 2 credits, yet may take as many of these courses as they choose.
Assessment of the Coaching Minor curriculum will be conducted through course-embedded assessment tools such as practice activities, development of training plans, and course exams. Students must attain a 2.5 GPA in the minor overall. Students must complete the practicum with a satisfactory evaluation by the practicum supervisor. Note that the practicum experiences can range from grade school and middle school/high school coaching to assistant coaching at the collegiate level; in a club setting such as a swimming, soccer, or basketball youth association; or at a recreational level, such as little league baseball or softball.