Prospective students must submit the following application components:
- Letter of Application - Should include a rationale for transitioning to a teaching career and briefly articulate relevant experience. The proposed area of licensure should be stated.
- Letters of Recommendation - Two sealed letters of recommendation completed on the Recommendation Form provided on this website. Letter should be sent directly from the person making the recommendation to the Director of Graduate Studies In Education. Letters should be from persons who know the candidate well. Letters may not be from family members.
- CASA or Praxis I - As of September 1, 2013, the CASA exam, administered through Pearson Education, is required to be admitted into any Teacher Education program in the state of Indiana. Prior to this date, Praxis 1 was the required exam, so if it was taken and passed prior to 9/1/13, it is still valid. Two options exist for the PRAXIS I exam: (1) A composite score of 527 based on Reading, Writing, and Math or (2) The former minimum scores of (Reading-176), (Writing-172), and (Math-175).
Recent changes in policy with the Indiana Department of Education have also created alternatives to the traditional CASA or PRAXIS I scores. The CASA or PRAXIS I score requirement is waived if the candidate meets any of the following requirements:
- ACT with a score of at least 24 based on Math, Reading, Grammar, and Science
- SAT with a score of at least 1100 based on Critical Reading and Math
- GRE with a score of at least 1100 based on verbal and quantitative
- A Master's Degree from a regionally accredited institution
- ACT, SAT, GRE score requirements do not include writing
- Praxis II - Applicants wanting licensure to teach grades 6-12 must have appropriate Praxis II scores in the content area (math, sciences, English, social studies) they want to teach, submitted directly to Indiana University East.
Note: Applicants wanting elementary licensure are NOT required to submit Praxis II scores until they apply for licensure at the completion of the Transition to Teaching Program. This is because you will need information taught during the program to pass the test.
- Official College Transcripts - Transcripts must be sent to the Director of Graduate Programs in Education from the institution granting the degree or credit.
- Current resume - Resume must include contact information for verification of prior experience.
- Other documentation - Applicants are strongly encouraged to provide other materials which evidence the applicant's suitability for the teaching profession and prior experience with children. This component would also include any evidence submitted for consideration for possible required course reduction through Prior Learning Assessment.
- Interview - Applicants must have an interview with a graduate advisor.
- Complete Application for Graduate Studies - Student must fill out an application for graduate studies with IU East and declare themselves an non-degree seeking graduate student. This form should be submitted to the Admissions office on campus along with the processing fee. This form and processing fee can also be completed online.
- Declaration of Major - Student must complete the Change of Major Form to declare a major and submit to Director of the Transition to Teaching (T2T) program along with their application packet.