A Flexible Degree to Meet Your Needs
A Bachelor of General Studies offers students the quality of an IU degree along with the most flexibility of any academic program. This degree allows graduates to have nearly endless career choices—a must for today’s changing workforce.
Select a concentration in Arts and Humanities, Social and Behavioral Sciences, or Natural Science and Mathematics. Then choose those courses that interest you the most. This is an excellent option for working adults, transfer students, or anyone who has a broad interest in the liberal arts.
Flexibility for you
- Design your degree in partnership with your academic advisor
- Take classes on campus, at a distance, or both
- Apply credits from other accredited colleges and universities
- Earn credit for life experiences, military service, and CLEP / DANTES examinations
Benefits to you
- Allows you to apply for and pursue advanced degrees in a variety of fields
- Helps you advance in your job and increase your earnings
- Builds your confidence and fills you with a sense of accomplishment
- Enables you to be a role model for your children
Completing the Bachelor of General Studies gives students basic preparation for many careers and graduate programs. General Studies graduates work in various professional fields, including business, education, government, health care, law, public relations, real estate, and the social service field. Many B.G.S. students have gone on to graduate programs, earning master's degrees and doctorates in such fields as anthropology, business, divinity studies, education, fine art, international affairs, law, library science, management, nursing, public health, and social work. General studies students learn skills like critical thinking, creativity, and communication that are applicable to almost any job.