Application Process & Admission Criteria
Welcome to the Honors Page! We are glad you are interested! Check out the various pages here to learn more about the program. An Honors Program flier is also available as a PDF to the right. Please keep in mind that you must be in a bachelor's degree program, an on-campus student, and have at least two academic years (4 semesters) left in order to be eligible for the Honors Program. We also look for a GPA of 3.5 or higher; however, GPA's between 3.0 and 3.5, or even lower, will be seriously considered if you show intellectual curiousity and a desire to become active in the Honors Program, shown in your application essay.
To Apply: Applications--hard-copy or electronic--are accepted throughout the year. Applications submitted during the months of May through August should be submitted electronically to IUEHonor@iue.edu. Your application should include:
- a completed Application Form (Word Version)
- a copy of your latest transcript. We encourage an overall high school GPA of 3.5 for incoming students or an overall college GPA of 3.5 for currently enrolled or transfer students; if lower, please explain why in your essay.
- a one-to-two-page, single-spaced, typed essay of intent;
- a letter of reference from a high school teacher or college instructor (their form is on the Application Form)
For questions about the Program or about submitting your application, contact:
- Professor, English
- Director (English), Honors Program, Honors Program Committee
- Whitewater Hall 264
- Faculty Profile
Reach Alisa Clapp-Itnyre in the Honors Room on Mondays 2-4pm, Tuesdays 2-4pm, or Wednesdays 2-3pm.
Springwood 202A; Ph 765-973-8621
Or contact University College at 765-973-8235
Honors students are encouraged to become good citizens and leaders within the program and are required to attend at least one Honors event per semester: Honors Week, ceremonies, Chew & Chats, and Honors Club events. We have fun!