Student Job Opportunity: IT Support Center
Student Job Opportunity: IT Support Center Consultant
Support Center Consultants provide technical assistance on a wide range of applications running on a variety of platforms to IU East faculty, staff and students with varying levels of computing skills. A Consultant must possess outstanding communication skills and must operate at a high level of professionalism at all times. The candidate will provide general customer support services as well as technical support to customers who need advice on, assistance with or training on computer hardware and software programs. The candidate will also be responsible for maintaining the computer lab environment, including resolving simple printer problems and basic troubleshooting of hardware or software issues. Support Center Consultants are also responsible for escalating unresolved issues to the appropriate IT staff in a timely manner.
Student Technology Centers are open Monday - Thursday 8 am - 9 pm and Friday 8 am - 5 pm. Additionally, the Information Commons (HY 115) is open on Saturdays 9 am to 3 pm during the Fall and Spring semesters.
- Respond to questions in a thorough, careful, efficient manner, using proper spelling and grammar and a proactive and friendly customer service attitude.
- Specific responsibilities include answering customer questions, reporting software and hardware problems, enforcing policies, and assisting students, faculty and staff with projects.
- Document all incoming requests into the Incident Tracking System, maintain correct, detailed and up to date information.
- Refer all unresolved problems to an appropriate specialist.
- Develop and maintain awareness of the IT organizational and technical environment, including hardware, software, publications and user concerns.
- Participate in required training and meetings. Continuously develop technical, organizational, interpersonal and writing skills.
- Consultants are required to read their IU e-mail on a regular basis.
- Strong organizational, verbal and written communication skills, and interpersonal skills.
- Professional attitude and demeanor.
- Motivation and confidence to work with minimal supervision.
- Excellent communication skills, along with the ability to interact courteously with the entire university community at all levels of technical and organizational sophistication.
- Demonstrated problem-solving and diagnostic ability for basic hardware and software problems.
- Familiarity with a variety of software applications in common use at IU East including familiar with Windows and Mac operating environment and common software applications such as Office, Outlook and Internet Explorer.
- Ability to work a minimum of 12 hours per week.
Consultants are paid $8.75 per hour. Indiana University temporary employees are paid on an hourly, bi-weekly basis, with no remission of academic fees and no commitment to continuous employment.
Applicants will be considered based on:
- customer service skills and experience
- technical skills and abilities
- student status - hiring priority is given to IU East students
- applicant availability
Indiana University East is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment institution and proactively seeks applications from women and members of underrepresented minority groups.
Appy: Human Resources, Whitewater Hall Room 124.