BS in Criminal Justice Degree (120 cr)
General Education Requirements (30 cr)
Recommended General Education Coursework:
- Written Communication Skills: ENG W270 or ENG W231
- Quantitative Reasoning: Statistics Class Required (CJUS K300 Strongly Recommended)
- Social and Behavioral Ways of Knowing: PSY P103 or SOC S100
- Humanistic and Artistic Ways of Knowing: HIST H105 or HIST H106
Remaining General Education Requirements can be fulfilled as you and your advisor see fit.
First-Year Seminar (0-2 cr)
A passing grade is required in the First Year Seminar course. This course is mandatory for all beginning freshmen and for transfer students with no more than 12 credit hours of transferring coursework. This course must be taken in the first semester after admission to Indiana University East.
Ethics (3 cr)
Information Literacy (3 cr)
Diversity Requirement (3 cr)
Choose one approved course in consultation with your advisor.
Major Requirements (36 cr)
A minimum of 36 credits must be taken at the 300 level or above, with at least 18 in the major.
Criminal Justice Course Requirements (27 cr)
- CJUS-P100 Introduction to Criminal Justice
- CJUS-P200 Theories of Crime and Deviance
- CJUS-P295 Criminal Justice Data, Methods and Research
- CJUS-P370 Legal Aspects of Criminal Justice
- CJUS-P301 Police in Contemporary Society
- CJUS-P302 Courts and Criminal Justice
- CJUS-P303 Corrections and Criminal Justice
- CJUS-P411 Criminal Justice Management
- CJUS-P470 Senior Seminar in Criminal Justice
Criminal Justice Course Electives (9 cr)
- Choose three courses from:
- CJUS-P210 Service Learning Experience in Criminal Justice
- CJUS-P300 Topics in Criminal Justice
- CJUS-P320 Foundations of Criminal Investigation
- CJUS-P330 Criminal Justice Ethics
- CJUS-P372 Evidence
- CJUS-P375 American Juvenile Justice System
- CJUS-P376 Procedural Criminal Law
- CJUS-P422 Crime in the Mass Media
- CJUS-P457 Seminar on White-Collar Crime
- CJUS-P458 Wrongful Conviction
- CJUS-P481 Field Experience in Criminal Justice
- CJUS-P493 Seminar in Criminal Justice
- CJUS-P496 Research Internship
- Note: CJUS-P300 and CJUS-P493 address various topics and may be repeated.
- One Social Work (SWK) class recommended
- Choose additional courses to reach 120 credit hours total.
A grade of C (2.0) or above is necessary in all English composition courses required for a degree. Students must complete ENG W131 or the equivalent within the first 25 credit hours for which they are enrolled. Students must also complete a second writing course with a C (2.0) or above within the first 50 credit hours for which they are enrolled. This course should prepare students for writing research papers and include at least one method of widely accepted documentation and instruct students in library research skills. All students must complete a culminating writing experience in their major.
General Grade Requirement
No course with a grade below 2.0 ( C ) will be accepted in the major/concentration area.
A passing grade is required in all other courses. A minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 (C) is required for all courses taken toward a degree.
Required Credit Hours
For a bachelor degree a minimum of 30 hours at the 200 level or above must be completed at Indiana University East. At least 15 hours in the field of concentration must be completed at Indiana University East.