Master of Arts in English Overview
- Are you interested in enhancing your knowledge of literature, creative writing, or composition and rhetoric?
- Are you ready to engage with language, texts, and theory more critically than ever before?
- Are you seeking to advance your professional career by earning a graduate degree?
IU East’s M.A. in English program may be just what you are searching for!
What is Unique about IU East's Master of Arts in English Program?
In consultation with faculty, students will select the courses best suited to their goals from among literature, creative writing, or composition and rhetoric.
The IU East Department of English faculty has strengths in creative writing, boasting published faculty in fiction writing, poetry, and creative nonfiction, as well as in composition and rhetoric, and literature with strong records in publishing, serving on national boards, and contributing to these fields in other prominent ways benefitting graduate students.
Students in our region can pursue a graduate English degree close to home with unique small class size education and the opportunity to work closely with faculty on campus. We also offer courses online to suit your schedule.
The 36-credit program offers full-time or part-time completion plans.
The M.A. in English program is formatted for both on-campus learning and online—with the same great student-teacher ratio and support.
What to do with a Master of Arts in English degree?
The Master of Arts in English enhances opportunities for work in a number of professional positions:
Professionals will strengthen their skills with a Master of Arts in English:
- The need for a qualified workforce that is professionally prepared with graduate school training is on the rise nationally.
- The ability to communicate well and write professionally continues to be among top criteria for potential employees.
The Master of Arts in English provides graduates with the credential of a Master of Arts in English required to teach English:
- In community colleges
- In four-year colleges
- Dual credit courses in high schools
Preparation for PhD Programs
The M.A. in English will also provide a basic credential for applicants to graduate and professional programs requiring a master’s degree.