Master of Arts in English
The Master of Arts in English program delivers a quality graduate program in a flexible format that includes both face-to-face and online courses. It requires 36 credit hours of course work.
The Master of Arts in English is designed for students who performed well academically in undergraduate programs in English, Communication, Humanities or related fields. A graduate degree enhances career opportunities and develops intellectual rigor. Our admissions process balances your undergraduate performance with your writing samples and future aspirations in our program along with recommendations from faculty.
Applications are accepted on an ongoing basis; however, prospective students must apply by April 15 for fall admittance of the same year.
A BA with a 3.0 or higher is required for admission to the MA in English.
Application packets will require:
- Application fee (this will be paid online during the online application process)
- Resume (this will be submitted as an attachment to the online application)
- Official transcripts (to be mailed to the attention of Edwina Helton)
- Three Recommendation Letters, by undergraduate professors familiar with your academic work. (e-mail notices with instructions will automatically be sent to those indicated in the online application once the application is submitted)
- Two Candidate Essays (to be emailed directly to Margaret Thomas Evans)
- Writing Sample – A 5 to 10 page writing sample from an undergraduate or graduate course which uses MLA documentation.
- Statement of Purpose – A statement of 200-300 words focused on your purpose for undertaking or continuing graduate study, your reasons for wanting to study at Indiana University East, and your research interests, professional plans, and career goals. You also may explain any special circumstances applicable to your background and elaborate on your scholarly publications, awards, achievements, abilities, and/or professional history.
- Online Application Form – see link below