Minor in Technical Writing
Minors with emphases in business communication, mass communication, and creative writing are pr ovided with specific courses identified for each.
Non-English majors must complete courses required for one of these emphases to qualify for a writing or communication minor. English majors must complete 15 additional credit hours (5 courses) beyond the 36 required for the major in order to qualify for a minor in writing or communications.
You must complete at least 6 hours of writing above the 200 level. At least 8 hours of the minor must be completed on the IU East campus.
Course Requirements (12 cr)
- ENG-W 231 Professional Writing Skills
- ENG-W 230 Science Writing
- ENG-W 270 Argumentative Writing
- ENG-W 321 Advanced Technical Writing
Electives (6 cr)
- Choose 6 credits from:
Note: Other courses may apply toward the certificate as approved by the certificate advisors.
Progress toward the completion of the certificate will be monitored in a number of ways:
- You must have obtained a C or better in all courses applied to the certificate.
- Your papers will be evaluated for the performance based technical communication skills outlined above in item IV.
- You will compile a portfolio of three technical commuication projects of different focuses completed for courses and write a reflective essay of introduction. The portfolio will be reviewed by at least two English faculty. Your advisor will coordinate the portfolio review process.