B.A. in Natural Science and Mathematics, Mathematics Concentration
It is easier than ever to obtain the degree you desire without putting your life on hold. IU East now offers a B.A in Natural Science and Mathematics – Mathematics Concentration.
Students who have their general education courses completed can receive either one of these attractive bachelor’s degree online in two years. "The B.A. in Natural Sciences and Mathematics is an attractive, flexible, Liberal Arts degree" says Dr. Markus Pomper, Chair of the Mathematics Department. "Students who have earned 60 or more credits from another institution may complete this degree in two years or less and never set foot on campus. We will work with students and design an individual degree completion plan that takes into consideration all coursework from other institutions."
The program is taught by award-winning faculty who are fervent about teaching and research.
A bachelor’s degree in Mathematics offers students a variety of career choices. Many of our graduates seek a career in teaching at the high school or community college level.
The B.A. in Natural Sciences and Mathematics requires 30 credit hours in Mathematics. It also requires that students take two semesters of a foreign language. The common core for this program consists of courses in Calculus, Proof Techniques and the History of Mathematics. Students will choose the remaining courses with the help of an advisor.
Completion Program Curriculum
This is a sample program. You will not need to retake any classes which qualify for transfer credit from other institutions. This program assumes that you have taken Pre-Calculus and Trigonometry at another institution.
- MATH-M 215 Calculus I (5 cr) *
- MATH-M 380 History of Math (3 cr) *
- MATH-K 300 Elem Statistics (3 cr) ☼
- BIOL-N 120 Biology of Mental Illness (3 cr) or other elective ☼
- MATH-M 216 Calculus II (5 cr) *
- MATH-M 393 Bridge to Abstract Math (3 cr) *
- MATH-M 313 Differential Equations (3 cr) §
- BUS-F 260 Personal Finance (3 cr) or other elective ☼
- MATH-M 311 Calculus III (3 cr) *
- COAS-I 103 Information Literacy (2 cr)
- MATH-M 371 Numerical Methods (3 cr) §
- MATH-M 413 Real Analysis (3 cr) §
- BIOL-L 393 Hormones and Human Health I (3 cr) or other elective ☼
- ANTH-P 360 North American Archaeology (3 cr) or other elective ☼
- MATH-M 303 Linear Algebra (3 cr) §
- INFO-I 201 Mathematical Foundations of Informatics (4 cr) or other elective ☼
- MUS-Z 201 History of Rock’n’Roll (3 cr) or other elective ☼
- BIOL-L 393 Biology of Addictions (3 cr) or other elective ☼
- MATH-M 118 Finite Mathematics (3 cr) or other elective ☼
Total credit hours for this degree must total at least 120. At least 30 credit hours must be taken at IU East.Lori Current
Asst. Director, Admissions
151C Whitewater Hall
2325 Chester Boulevard
Richmond, Indiana 47374
1-800-959-EAST, extension 238