B.A. in English, Technical and Professional Writing
This degree completion program is designed for students who have completed at least 60 semester hours of transferable college credit with a GPA of 2.0 or better, or individuals who have completed an associate degree at the community college level. Prior transcripts are evaluated to determine academic status in relation to satisfying degree program requirements, including both general education courses equivalent to the Indiana University East core curriculum and all required prerequisites.
The following is a sample two-year plan for the degree.
Your actual program sequence will depend on the semester that you choose to begin the program.
Semester 1: Summer, even (6 cr)
- ENG-L 202 Literary Interpretation
- ENG-W 231 Professional Writing (if not already taken)
- ENG-W 230 Science Writing
- ENG-W 270 Argumentative Writing
- One Literature Elective from among: ENG-L 332, ENG-L 347, ENG-L 367, ENG-L 394, or other online Summer Lit Courses
Semester 2: Fall, even (12 cr)
- ENG-G 205 Introduction to English Language (or other elective such as language)
- ENG-L 357 20th Century American Poetry
- ENG-L 384 Studies in American Culture
- Language requirement (optional if completed)
Semester 3: Spring, odd (12 cr)
- ENG-W 321 Advanced Technical Writing
- ENG-L 364 Native American Literature or ENG-L 383 Studies in British or Commonwealth Culture
- ENG L-371 Introduction to Criticism (optional)
- ENG-G 207 Grammar and Usage (or other elective)
Semester 4: Summer, odd (6 cr)
- Two Literature Electives from among: ENG-L 332, ENG-L 347, ENG-L 367, ENG-L 394, or other online Summer Lit Courses
Semester 5: Fall, odd (12 cr)
- ENG-G 301 History of the English Language
- ENG-L 379 American Ethnic & Minority Literature
- ENG-L 360 American Prose – Excluding Fiction
Semester 6: Spring, even (12 cr)
Writing RequirementA grade of C (2.0) or above is necessary in all English composition courses required for a degree. Students must complete ENG W131 or the equivalent within the first 25 credit hours for which they are enrolled. Students must also complete a second writing course with a C (2.0) or above within the first 50 credit hours for which they are enrolled. This course should prepare students for writing research papers and include at least one method of widely accepted documentation and instruct students in library research skills. All students must complete a culminating writing experience in their major.
General Grade Requirement
A passing grade is required in all other courses. A minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 (C) is required for all courses taken toward a degree.
Required Credit Hours
For a bachelor degree a minimum of 30 hours at the 200 level or above must be completed at Indiana University East. At least 15 hours in the field of concentration must be completed at Indiana University East.
Asst. Director, Admissions
151C Whitewater Hall
2325 Chester Boulevard
Richmond, Indiana 47374
765-973-8238 OR 1-800-959-EAST