Indiana University East hosted its Annual High School Speech Tournament on December 1. Warren Central High School was the team sweepstakes champion, the second year in a row for the team to win the overall competition at IU East. Warren Central was followed by Cathedral in second; Noblesville in third; Southport in fourth; and Connersville in fifth. There were 249 students from 14 Indiana regional high schools that competed in 14 speech events and one Congress debate event.
Sponsors for the 2012 High School Speech Tournament included Summersault, the IU East School of Humanities and Social Sciences, IU East Office of External Affairs, Office of Admissions, and Office of Financial Aid.
Area coaches Susie Hittson and Holly Hathaway assisted the tournament chair Elvinet Piard, assistant professor of communication studies and speech coordinator at IU East.
High schools competing in the speech tournament included:
• Brebeuf Jesuit
• Burris Laboratory School
• Columbus East
• Middletown (Ohio)
• New Castle Chrysler
• Walker Career Center
• Warren Central
IU East offered 19 students $800 Red Wolves Scholarships for placing first in each of 15 events. Students also won IU East Red Wolves bags as door prizes.
• Levi Cramer, Middletown (Congress)
• Brittany Moton, Walker Career Center (Prose)
• Kayla English, Warren Center (Original Oratory – unbreakable tie)
• Johnny Young, Warren Center (Original Oratory – unbreakable tie)
• Caley Caito, Cathedral (US Extemporaneous Speaking)
• Brice Koetter, Southport (Poetry Reading)
• Kierstin Runkel, Warren Central (Original Performance)
• Brian Kobak, Warren Central (Original Performance)
• Kaila Davenport, Warren Central (Oratorical Declamation)
• Adrian Wolanski, Warren Central (International Extemporaneous Speaking)
• Natalie Rubalcava, Walker Career Center (Impromptu Speaking)
• Pete Freeman, Noblesville (Broadcasting)
• Brian Morton, Brebeuf Jesuit (Discussion)
• Emmalee Dixon, Southport (Dramatic Interpretation)
• Ben Hynds, Warren Central (Duo Interpretation – Memorized)
• William Patterson, Warren Central (Duo Interpretation – Memorized)
• Dakota Gillespie, Warren Central (Duo Interpretation – Scripted)
• Kayla Maxson, Warren Central (Duo Interpretation – Scripted)
• Ben Hynds, Warren Central (Humorous Interpretation)
To receive information about the 2013 High School Speech tournament or to inquire about sponsorships, contact Elvinet Piard, IU East assistant professor of Communication Studies, at (765) 973-8425 or email@example.com.