Indiana University East will host “Homecoming 2014: This is How We Do It” November 10-15. Alumni, friends and the campus community are invited to participate in the activities and events throughout the week. Homecoming events are sponsored by the Alumni Association, Office of Campus Life, Student Activities Advisory Team, Student Government Association, and Students Today Alumni Tomorrow.
Homecoming 2014 begins at 11 a.m. on Monday, November 10, with Monday Madness. Students will enjoy free food and the Homecoming Court will be announced in the Springwood Hall Graf Center at noon.
IU East will celebrate the completion of the Quad with a ribbon cutting ceremony at 11 a.m. During the ceremony, students and the first 50 faculty and staff to attend will receive this year’s Homecoming t-shirt.
Later that day, Red Wolves will participate in one of the most attended and popular student events of Homecoming Week: The Nearly Naked Mile. The sixth annual Nearly Naked Mile is at 1 p.m. with registration at 12:30 at the Springwood Hall patio.
Sponsored by the IU East Alumni Association, the student event raises donations for those in need, so a registration “fee” of one or more gently used items of clothing (such as coats, hats, or gloves) is required. Students participating in the Nearly Naked Mile will receive a pair of IU East gloves. Prizes will be awarded for top Male and Female Finisher and also Best Costume.
Later Monday, the Homecoming Parade begins at 6:30 p.m. in the Historic Richmond Depot District. The parade will travel Fort Wayne Avenue and feature organizations from the campus and community as well as the Homecoming Court.
On Tuesday, November 11, IU and IU East will host the Groundbreaking Celebration for the new Student Events Center at 1 p.m. east of Springwood Hall. IU President Michael McRobbie and IU East Chancellor Kathryn Cruz-Uribe invite you to join the IU East campus in commemorating the construction of the campus’ fifth building.
Approximately at 2 p.m., following the groundbreaking ceremony, IU East will observe a Veteran’s Day Moment of Silence.
Later Tuesday night, IU East Homecoming basketball games and Rufus’ birthday celebration will begin at 6 p.m. at Richmond High School Tiernan Center, located at 380 Hub Etchison Parkway.
The IU East men’s basketball team will take on Wilberforce University, followed by the first home women’s basketball game, also versus Wilberforce University. Game activities will include the announcement of the Homecoming Court and Rufus’ birthday celebration. To honor our Veterans, a special salute will be conducted this evening. Active military, veterans, and their immediate family, enter the basketball games free.
On Wednesday, November 12, IU East students are invited to the Natalie Stovall and The Drive Concert at 8 p.m. in Vivian Auditorium. Students are admitted free with their Wolf Card. Tickets are available for the first 50 faculty and staff members interested in attending in the Office of Campus Life. Ticket is redeemable for free admission for the faculty/staff member and one guest.
Whether it’s Natalie Stovall’s breathtaking vocals and larger-than-life stage presence, her band’s turbo-charged, take-no prisoners live shows, or the collective unit’s barnstorming worldwide tours, Natalie Stovall and The Drive prove they are arena ready. A humble, charismatic entertainer with a trademark lion’s mane of big blonde hair, Natalie and her powerful vocals and sparkling fiddle leave audiences spellbound.
On Thursday, November 13, the Homecoming Talent Show will be held at 5:30 p.m. in Vivian Auditorium and will feature student acts. Students, faculty, adjuncts, staff and alumni are welcome to attend.
The bonfire will follow at 7:30 p.m., located near the Hayes Hall patio. Students, faculty, adjuncts, staff and alumni are welcome to attend. The Homecoming King and Queen will be crowned at the bonfire.
The 2014 IU East Chancellor’s Medallion Dinner is hosted to recognize the achievements of our three award winners. The dinner will be held at 5:30 p.m. on Friday, November 14, at Forest Hills Country Club, located at 2169 S. 23rd St., Richmond, Ind.
The Chancellor’s Medallion Dinner will toast Ashton Veramallay, Ph.D., Jane Vincent, Ed.D., and James Helms, Chancellor Emeritus, as they are presented the Chancellor’s Medallion. IU East will also celebrate new inductees to the Alumni Hall of Fame. This year’s inductees are Wayne County Sheriff Jeff Cappa and Kate Hogg, English teacher at Richmond High School. RSVP is required for this event. Contact Angie Callahan at (765) 973-8604. Tickets are $75 each.
To culminate Homecoming Week, IU East women’s basketball will play Denison University at 3 p.m. on Saturday, November 15, as part of the Earlham College Quaker Classic. The game will be held at Earlham College.
For more information about Homecoming, visit iue.edu/homecoming.
Calendar of Events
Monday, November 10
• Monday Madness, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., Springwood Hall Graf Center (Student Event)
• Quad Ribbon Cutting, 11 a.m.
• Homecoming Parade, 6:30 p.m., Richmond Historic Depot District (Public welcome to attend.)
Tuesday, November 11
• Student Events Center Groundbreaking, 1 p.m., east of Springwood Hall (RSVP required)
• Veteran’s Day Moment of Silence, approximately 2 p.m. following the Student Events Center Groundbreaking
• IU East Homecoming Men’s and Women’s Basketball Games vs. Wilberforce University and Rufus’ Birthday, 6 p.m., Richmond High School Tiernan Center, 380 Hub Etchison Parkway. Students, faculty and staff admitted free with Wolf Card. Veterans and immediate family members admitted free. Adults $5
Wednesday, November 12
• Natalie Stovall and The Drive Concert, 8 p.m., Whitewater Hall Vivian Auditorium (Student Event)
Thursday, November 13
• Talent Show, 5:30 p.m., Whitewater Hall Vivian Auditorium (Student Event with faculty, staff and alumni welcome to attend)
• Bonfire, 7:30 p.m., located behind Hayes Hall (Students, faculty, adjuncts, staff and alumni are welcome to attend.)
Friday, November 14
• Chancellor’s Medallion Dinner, 5:30 p.m., Forest Hills Country Club, 2169 S. 23rd St., Richmond, IN. To RSVP, please contact Angie Callahan at (765) 973-8604. Tickets are $75 each.
Saturday, November 15
• Women’s basketball game vs. Denison University, 3 p.m., at Ealham College Quaker Classic.