Indiana University East will host “Homecoming 2013: This Moment We Own It” October 21-26. Alumni, friends and the campus community are invited to participate in the activities and events throughout the week. Homecoming events are sponsored by the Alumni Association, Office of Campus Life, Student Activities Advisory Team, Student Government Association, and Students Today Alumni Tomorrow.
Homecoming 2013 begins at 11:30 a.m. on October 21 with Monday Madness. Students will pick up their Homecoming t-shirts, enjoy free food and the Homecoming Court will be announced in the Springwood Hall Graf Center.
Students can also participate in one of the most attended and popular events of Homecoming Week: The Nearly Naked Mile. The fifth annual Nearly Naked Mile is at 1 p.m. with registration at 12:30 at the Springwood Hall patio.
Sponsored by the IU East Alumni Association, the student event raises donations for those in need, so a registration “fee” of one or more gently used items of clothing (such as coats, hats, or gloves) is required. A free Nearly Naked Mile t-shirt for the first 200 registrants will be provided. Prizes will be awarded for top Male and Female Finisher and also Best Costume.
On Tuesday, students are invited to hear Comedian Jay Black at 8 p.m. in Vivian Auditorium. The event is for those ages 18 and over.
Homecoming 2013 events will move to the Historic Richmond Depot District with a parade at 6:15 p.m. on Wednesday, October 23. The parade will travel Fort Wayne Avenue and feature organizations from the campus and community as well as the Homecoming Court.
Following the parade, the IU East Red Wolves Volleyball team will play Asbury University at 7 p.m. at Seton Catholic High School, located at 233 South Fifth Street in Richmond. The match is also Senior Night. A post-match party at Joe’s Pizza will follow at approximately 8:30 p.m.
The Homecoming Talent Show and bonfire will be held on Thursday. The Talent Show begins at 5:30 p.m. in Vivian Auditorium and will feature student acts. The bonfire will follow at 7:30 p.m., near the Hayes Hall patio. The Homecoming King and Queen will be crowned at the bonfire.
Homecoming 2013 will continue with events in the Depot District on Friday, October 25. The Installation Ceremony, themed “A Steward of Place,” for Chancellor Kathryn Cruz-Uribe is at 3:30 p.m. in the Historic Pennsylvania Railroad Depot.
The public is invited to the Block Party on Friday, 6-9 p.m., to celebrate the installation with a zip-line over Fort Wayne Avenue, rock wall, face painting, inflatable, street performer Wacky Chad and Rufus’ Birthday Party.
To culminate Homecoming Week, IU East will participate in national “Make a Difference Day” at 10 a.m. on Saturday in the Depot District. Faculty, staff and students will volunteer for a day of service, completing service projects throughout the Depot.
For more information about homecoming, visit iue.edu/homecoming.
Calendar of Events
Monday, October 21
• Monday Madness, 11:30 a.m., Springwood Hall Graf Center
• Nearly Naked Mile, 1 p.m., Springwood Hall Patio and Quad
• Homecoming Court Announcement
Tuesday, October 22
• Comedian Jay Black, 8 p.m., Vivian Auditorium
Wednesday, October 23
• Homecoming Parade, 6:15 p.m., Depot District
• Volleyball vs. Asbury University, 7 p.m., Seton Catholic High School Gym
• Post-match Party at Joe’s Pizza, 8:30 p.m.
Thursday, October 24
• Student Talent Show, 5:30 p.m., Vivian Auditorium
• Annual Homecoming Bonfire, 7:30 p.m. behind Hayes Hall
• Homecoming King and Queen will be crowned at the bonfire
Friday, October 25
• Chancellor Installation Ceremony, 3:30 p.m., Pennsylvania Railroad Depot
• Block Party, 6-9 p.m., Depot District, Fort Wayne Avenue (includes music, zip-line, rock wall, street performer, and Rufus’ birthday party)
Saturday, October 26
• “Make a Difference Day,” 10 a.m.-2 p.m., Depot District