B.S. in Biochemistry (120 credit hours)
The Bachelor of Science in Biochemistry is ideal for students heading for professional programs in pharmacy, medicine, or dentistry. Students planning to attend graduate school for advanced study in biochemistry, molecular and cellular biology, or other biology related fields will find this program optimal for their interest. This program prepares students looking for employment in chemical and biochemical industries as well as hospitals and related health care facilities.
General Education Requirements (30 cr)
Please note: The Quantitative Reasoning and Scientific Ways of Knowing General Education Requirements will be satisfied by this degree’s requirements. Please confirm these requirements with your advisor.
First-Year Seminar (0-3 cr)
- UCOL-U 101 First Year Seminar or
- HON-H 100 Freshman Honors Seminar
A passing grade is required in the First Year Seminar course. This course is mandatory for all beginning freshmen and for transfer students with less than 12 credit hours of transferring coursework. This course must be taken in the first semester after admission to Indiana University East.
Information Literacy (1-3 cr)
Choose 1 from:
- COAS-I103 Information Literacy (3 cr)
- COAS-Q110 Intro to Information Literacy (1 cr)
- CSCI-A 110 Introduction to Computers & Computing (3 cr)
Physical Science Core (33 cr)
- CHEM-C 105/CHEM-C 125 Principles of Chemistry I with Lab (5)
- CHEM-C 106/CHEM-C 126 Principles of Chemistry II with Lab (5)
- CHEM-C 341/CHEM-C 343 Organic Chemistry I with Lab (5)
- CHEM-C 342/CHEM-C 344 Organic Chemistry II with Lab (5)
- CHEM-C 360 Physical Chemistry (3)
- PHYS-P 201 General Physics I (5)
- PHYS-P 202 General Physics II (5)
Mathematics core (10 cr)
Biochemistry core (31-35 cr)
- BIOL-L 101 Introduction to Biological Sciences (4)
- (Students may test out of this course, but will not be awarded credit hours)
- BIOL-L 102 Introduction to Biological Sciences II (4)
- BIOL-L 314 Genetics (4)
- BIOL-L 315 Cell Biology (4)
- BIOL-L 211/BIOL-L 213 Molecular Biology with Lab (5)
- BIOL-L 321 Immunology (3)
- CHEM-C 329 Proteins and Enzymes (5)
- CHEM-C 484 Biomolecules and Catabolism (3)
- CHEM-C 485 Biosynthesis and Physiology (3)
Capstone (1 cr)
- BIOL-L 452 Capstone in Biology (1)
Biochemistry Electives (4 minimum)
Pick from the following or other approved courses in consultation with your academic advisor.
After concentration requirements have been met, take enough credit hours to complete 120 credits and meet IU East degree program requirements, residency requirements, and GPA requirements.