B.S. in Biology (120 credit hours)
The Bachelor of Science in Biology provides you with a background in biological sciences in order to prepare you for advanced study or for employment. The degree program will prepare you for further study beyond the baccalaureate (such as graduate school, medicine, dentistry, veterinary, pharmacy, and allied health professions).
General Education Requirements (30 cr)
Please note: The Quantitative Reasoning and Scientific Ways of Knowing General Education Requirements will be satisfied by this degree’s requirements. Please confirm these requirements with your advisor.
First-Year Seminar (0-3 cr)
- UCOL-U 101 First Year Seminar (2 cr) or
- HON-H 100 Freshman Honors Seminar
A passing grade is required in the First Year Seminar course. This course is mandatory for all beginning freshmen and for transfer students with less than 12 credit hours of transferring coursework. This course must be taken in the first semester after admission to Indiana University East.
Information Literacy (1-3 cr)
Choose 1 from:
- COAS-I 103 Information Literacy (3 cr)
- COAS-Q 110 Intro to Information Literacy (1 cr)
- CSCI-A 110 Intro to Computers & Computing (3 cr)
Degree Requirements (78 cr)
Natural Science & Mathematics Requirements (38 cr)
- MATH-M 215 Calculus I (5 cr)
- MATH-K 300 Statistics (3 cr)
- CHEM-C 105/CHEM-C 125 Principles of Chemistry I with Lab (5 cr)
- CHEM-C 106/CHEM-C 126 Principles of Chemistry II with Lab (5 cr)
- CHEM-C 341/CHEM-C 343 Organic Chemistry I with Lab (5 cr)
- CHEM-C 342/CHEM-C 344 Organic Chemistry II with Lab (5 cr)
- PHYS-P 201 General Physics I (5 cr)
- PHYS-P 202 General Physics II (5 cr)
Biology Requirements (43 cr)
- BIOL-L 101*/BIOL-L 102 Biological Sciences I & II (8 cr)
- BIOL-L 211 Molecular Biology
- BIOL-B 301 Introduction to Plant Kingdom (4 cr)
- BIOL-Z 301 Introduction to Animal Kingdom (4 cr)
- BIOL-L 314 Genetics (4 cr)
- BIOL-L 315 Cell Biology (4 cr)
- BIOL-L 325 Ecological Principles (4 cr)
- BIOL-L 452 Capstone in Biology (1 cr)
*Students may test out of this course, but will not be awarded credit.
Biology Electives (11-15)
Choose additional Biology courses at 200 level or above to complete this 43 credit hour requirement.
Choose additional courses to total 120 credits if needed after completing all other requirements.