TECHNOLOGY REQUIREMENTS (2016-17)
A BSN student is required to purchase a notebook (laptop) computer as well as a Handheld Digital Device.
Indiana University East School of Nursing has implemented a technology requirement for all admitted nursing students effective fall 2006. This requires nursing students to have a notebook (laptop) and handheld digital device. The equipment will be integrated in classroom, clinical, and lab use. Specifics for the equipment are as follows:
OPTIONS FOR NOTEBOOK COMPUTER:
When purchasing be sure to let your customer service representative know that you are an Indiana University student to receive any discounts. DO NOT purchase the MS Office package (Word, Excel, etc), IU East students can download it for free at http://iuware.indiana.edu/ or purchase a disk from the bookstore at a minimal cost.
The laptop you purchase should meet the following minimum requirements:
1. 4GB RAM (minimum), 8GB is recommended
2. Intel Core i3 CPU (minimum), i5 or greater is recommended
3. Windows 8 operating system (minimum), Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 operating system is recommended
4. Highly recommend a 3 year warranty
- The following URL lists minimum specs for existing and newly purchased machines and has links to hardware sites that offer an IU discount. http://uits.iu.edu/page/antk
- The IU website - http://www.iue.edu/it
- Dell’s website - www.dell.com
- Any other vendor that deals with computer sales
* These costs change on a daily basis depending on where they are purchased.
HANDHELD DIGITAL DEVICE INFORMATION:
- Nursing Central is compatible with Android and iOS devices. At this time the app cannot be downloaded onto Windows devices, although it can still be accessed via the web on those devices. Nursing Central is no longer compatible with Blackberry products.
- 42 MB minimum
- Nursing Central Package
- Taber’s Encyclopedia Medical Dictionary, 22nd edition
- Davis Drug Guide
- Disease and Disorders: A Nursing’s Therapeutic Manual
- Davis's Comprehensive Handbook of Laboratory and Diagnostic Tests with Nursing Implications
- Nursing Central web component (Unbound MEDLINE): allows you to track leading journals in your field and search the medical literature from a PDA, wireless device or the Web. Unbound's Journal Browser delivers tables of contents and abstracts from the latest journal issue to your handheld on synchronization. To read full text online, simply tap "More online", sync, and link to the full text.
- Yearly renewal fee
Here is the Indiana University East’s codes for initial purchasing and renewals for Nursing Central. There is also included a short video link demonstrating what Nursing Central can do as well as youtube videos.
www.unboundmedicine.com/products/nursing_central to purchase initially or to renew.
The code is: IUEDisc16
Renewal Code: IUERenewal
As the time for renewal approaches, students will receive emails asking them to RENEW NOW. They will select Renew. Upon selecting Nursing Central and/or other resources to purchase, they will then enter the renewal CODE prior to selecting CHECK OUT.
Instructional videos are also available on youtube at: