A BSN student is required to purchase:
- a notebook (laptop) computer
- a Personal Digital Assistant (PDA).
Indiana University School of Nursing at IU East has implemented a technology requirement for all admitted nursing students effective fall 2006. This requires nursing students to have a notebook and personal digital assistant (PDA). The equipment will be integrated in classroom and clinical use.
Options for Notebook Computers
When purchasing be sure to let your customer service representative know that you are an Indiana University student to receive any discounts. DO NOT purchase the MS Office package (Word, Excel, etc), IU East students can download it for free http://iuware.indiana.edu/ or purchase a disk from the bookstore at a minimal cost.
The laptop you purchase should meet the following minimum requirements:
- 2GB RAM (minimum)
- Intel dual core CPU (Core 2 Duo preferred)
- 160GB (minimum), DVD burning; wireless networking
- 56Whr Lithium Ion Battery (6 cell) or larger
- Windows 2007 Operating System
- Highly recommend a 3 year warranty
- IU East's IT website - http://www.iue.edu/it/
- Dell’s Web site - www.dell.com
- Any other vendor that deals with computer sales
* These costs change on a daily basis depending on where they are purchased.
- PDA that will run Unbound Medicine software:Nursing Central can be installed to most Palm, Windows Mobile (Pocket PC), Android, BlackBerry, and iPhone/iPod Touch devices. The iPod Nano is not currently a supported device
- 42 MB minimum
- Nursing Central Package: (cost from Unbound Medicine $135.96)
a. Taber’s Encyclopedia Medical Dictionary, 21st edition
b. Davis Drug Guide
c. Disease and Disorders: A Nursing’s Therapeutic Manual
d. Davis's Comprehensive Handbook of Laboratory and Diagnostic Tests with
Nursing Implications, 2nd edition
- Nursing Central web component (Unbound MEDLINE): allows you to track leading journals in your field and search the medical literature from a PDA, wireless device or the Web. Unbound's Journal Browser delivers tables of contents and abstracts from the latest journal issue to your handheld on synchronization. To read full text online, simply tap "More online", sync, and link to the full text.
- Optional Software: The Handbook of Nursing Diagnosis for Mobile Devices (total cost when purchased along with the Nursing Central Package = $169.92)
- Yearly renewal price is $99.95
Here are Indiana University East’s discount links for Nursing Central. The top link is for Nursing Central only, and the second one is for Nursing Central supplemented with the Handbook of Nursing Diagnosis. There is also included a short video link demonstrating what Nursing Central can do.