Bachelor of General Studies
A Bachelor of General Studies offers students the quality of an IU degree along with the most flexibility of any academic program by allowing students to easily combine courses and transfer credits from a variety of academic disciplines. Offered entirely online, this degree allows graduates to have nearly endless career choices—a must for today’s changing workforce.
Select a concentration in Arts and Humanities, Social and Behavioral Sciences, or Natural Science and Mathematics. Then choose those courses that interest you the most. This is an excellent option for working adults, transfer students, or anyone who has a broad interest in the liberal arts.
- No more than 21 credit hours may be taken in a single subject area.
- No more than 30 credit hours in a single discipline outside the arts and sciences will be counted towards this degree (Business, Education, Criminal Justice, Human Services, Journalism, Nursing, Social Work or SPEA).
- At least 30 credit hours of course work must be taken within the Indiana University system.
- At least 20 credit hours of course work must be taken after you have been admitted to the School of Continuing Studies.
- At least 30 credit hours must be taken at the 300-400 level.
- See Plan of Study for specific grade requirements.
General Education (39 cr)
Composition & Communication (9)
- ENG-W 131 Elementary Composition I
- Choose one Communication course:
- Choose one secondary composition course from:
College-level Mathematics (3)
- Choose 1 MATH-M course at or above M110
Natural Science & Mathematics (9)
- Choose 9 credits (including one lab course) from:
Humanities & Fine Arts (9)
- Choose 9 credits (no more than one studio course) from:
Behavioral & Social Sciences (9)
- Choose 9 credits from:
Additional Requirements (12-14 cr)
First-Year Seminar (0-2)
Students entering the program with fewer than 12 credit hours of transferable credit are required to complete the First Year Seminar (UCOL-U 101).
Information Literacy (3)
CSCI-A 110 Intro to Computers and Computing (or equivalent)
Choose one diversity course from this list.
Additional General Education (6)
- Choose one additional course from each of:
- Natural Science & Mathematics (list above)
- Behavioral & Social Sciences (list above)
Concentration Requirements (18 cr)
Select one concentration and choose 18 credits of courses within that concentration.
General Electives (66 cr)
- Choose 15 credit hours from the Arts & Sciences
- Choose 51 credit hours in courses from a variety of disciplines to attain your educational goals (consult advisor for assistance).
Contact Us1-800-959-EAST, extension 208