B.A. in English, Technical and Professional Writing
Have you ever dreamed of using your love of writing in a career? An IU Bachelor of Arts with emphasis in Technical and Professional Writing will give you the skills and flexibility to succeed in today’s workplace. You will learn how to think critically and to communicate thoughts and ideas effectively in various media, preparing you for a career in a wide range of fields from advertising and public relations to social services or writing for publication.
The B.A. online completion program in English with emphasis in Technical and Professional Writing is designed to enable a student to complete the program requirements within 60 credit hours (20 classes), assuming prior completion of all required general education courses and prerequisite courses.
Sample Completion Program Curriculum (60 cr)
The required 60 credit hours are offered over two calendar years. Your actual sequence of classes will depend on the semester that you choose to begin the program, and will be determined in consultation with an advisor. Advisors work with each student for an individual plan of study. Your individual plan may differ significantly from the sample curriculum below, based on your academic background.
Semester 1: Summer, even (6 cr)
- ENG-L 202 Literary Interpretation
- ENG-W 231 Professional Writing (if not already taken)
- ENG-W 230 Science Writing
- ENG-W 270 Argumentative Writing
- One Literature Elective from among: ENG-L 332, ENG-L 347, ENG-L 367, ENG-L 394, or other online Summer Lit Courses
Semester 2: Fall, even (12 cr)
- ENG-G 205 Introduction to English Language (or other elective such as language)
- ENG-L 357 20th Century American Poetry
- ENG-L 384 Studies in American Culture
- Language requirement (optional if completed)
Semester 3: Spring, odd (12 cr)
- ENG-W 321 Advanced Technical Writing
- ENG-L 364 Native American Literature or ENG-L 383 Studies in British or Commonwealth Culture
- ENG L-371 Introduction to Criticism (optional)
- ENG-G 207 Grammar and Usage (or other elective)
Semester 4: Summer, odd (6 cr)
- Two Literature Electives from among: ENG-L 332, ENG-L 347, ENG-L 367, ENG-L 394, or other online Summer Lit Courses
Semester 5: Fall, odd (12 cr)
- ENG-G 301 History of the English Language
- ENG-L 379 American Ethnic & Minority Literature
- ENG-L 360 American Prose – Excluding Fiction
Semester 6: Spring, even (12 cr)
Students must complete all requirements for the BA in English, including the following:
- A minimum of 36 credit hours must be taken at the 300 level or above, with at least 18 in the major.
- A minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 (C) is required for all courses taken toward a degree.
- A minimum of 30 hours at the 200 level or above must be completed at Indiana University East.
- At least 15 hours in the field of concentration must be completed at Indiana University East.
No more than 64 hours can be accepted in transfer from 2-year institutions or community colleges.Lori Current
Asst. Director, Admissions
151C Whitewater Hall
2325 Chester Boulevard
Richmond, Indiana 47374
1-800-959-EAST, extension 238