Professor of English
Indiana University East
School of Humanities and Social Sciences
264 Whitewater Hall
Phone: (765) 973-8531
- Ph.D. in English. May 1996. University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign.
- M.A. in English. October 1991. University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign.
- B.A. in English. June 1989. Oakland University, Rochester, Michigan.
Current Research Interests
Children’s hymns, children's diaries of nineteenth-century Britain
Selected Publications (Refereed)
- British Hymn Books for Children, 1800-1900: Re-Tuning the History of Childhood. Ashgate's Studies in Childhood Series: 1700-Present series. Surry, UK:Ashgate Publishers, January 2016. http://www.ashgate.com/isbn/9781409454304
- “Perplext by Faith:” Essays on Victorian Beliefs and Doubts, Co-edited with Julie Melnyk. Newcastle upon Tyne: Cambridge Scholars, 2015.
- Angelic Airs, Subversive Songs: Music as Social Discourse in the Victorian Novel. Ohio University Press, Nov. 2002. 226pp. with music illustrations.
- British 19th Century Children's Hymns Website http://www.iue.edu/hss/research/clapp-itnyre/childrenshymns/
- “O, Come, All Ye Children: Christmas Carols in Victorian Children’s Hymnbooks.” The Hymn: A Journal of Congregational Song. Vol. 68. No. 1 (Winter 2017). Forthcoming.
- “Writing for, Yet Apart: Nineteenth-Century Women’s Contentious Status as Hymn Writers and Editors of Hymnbooks for Children.” Victorian Literature and Culture. Vol. 40. Issue 1. (March 2012): Pp. 47-81.
- “The Contentious ‘Figure’ of Music in the Poetry of Thomas Hardy.” The Hardy Society Journal. Vol. 2, No. 2 (Summer 2006): 26-34.
- “Indecent Musical Displays: Feminizing the Pastoral in Eliot’s The Mill on the Floss.” in The Idea of Music in Victorian Fiction. Ed. Sophie Fuller and Nicky Losseff. Aldershot, England: Ashgate, 2004. 129-149.
- “Marginalized Musical Interludes: Tennyson’s Critique of Conventionality in The Princess.” Victorian Poetry. Volume 38. Number 2 (Summer 2000): 227-248.
- “Dinah and the Secularization of Methodist Hymnody in Eliot’s Adam Bede.” Victorians Institute Journal. Volume 26 (1998): 40-68.
- “Nineteenth-Century British Children’s Hymnody: Re-Tuning the History of Childhood with Chords and Verses.” Children’s Literature Association Quarterly. Vol. 35, Issue 2 (Summer 2010): 144-175.
- “Help! I’m a Feminist but My Daughter is a ‘Princess Fanatic’! Disney’s Transformation of Twenty-First-Century Girls.” Children's Folklore Review. Vol. 32 (2010): 7-22.
- “Battle on the Gender Homefront: Depictions of the American Civil War in Contemporary Young-Adult Literature.” Children’s Literature in Education. On-line and Vol. 38, Number 2 (June 2007): 153-161.
- “The Power of Women, the Power of Teens: Re-visioning Gender and Age in the Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys Mystery Series.” in Exploring Culturally Diverse Literature for Children and Adolescents: Learning to Listen in New Ways.” Ed. Darwin L. Henderson & Jill P. May. Boston: Pearson and Allyn/Bacon, 2005. 286-299.
- 2011 Winner, Herman Frederic Lieber Memorial Award for Teaching Excellence, IU-system
- 2009 Winner, All-Campus Helen Lees Teaching Award, Indiana University East.
- 2002 Winner, Horizon Teaching Award, Indiana University East.
Selected Research Awards / Grants
- 2014 Recipient, Indiana University East Research Grant
- 2014 Recipient, New Frontiers in the Arts and Humanities Exploratory Travel Fellowship, IU System-wide
- 2012 Recipient, Excellence in Research Award, IU East
- 2010 Recipient, New Frontiers Grant in the Arts and Humanities, IU-system-wide grant
- 2009 Recipient (1 of 3 nationally), Children’s Literature Association Faculty Research Award.
- 2006 Recipient, New Frontiers/Arts & Humanities Exploration Traveling Fellowship, IU System
- 2003 Membership to the Faculty of the Indiana University Graduate School with Full Status
Selected Professional Positions
- Midwest Victorian Studies Association, Executive Secretary, 2004-2014.
- Children’s Literature Association, Carol Gay Undergraduate Writing Award, 2006, 2007;Phoenix Picture Book Award Committee, 2010-present.