Denice W. Honaker
Assistant Professor, School of Education
Coordinator of Early Childhood Education, School of Education
Tom Raper Hall 354
- Ed.D., Curriculum Studies (Early Childhood and Literacy Education), Indiana University, 2016
- M.S., Education (Elementary Education), Indiana University, 2009
- Alternative Routes to Certification, Indiana University East, 2006
- Early Childhood Associate certificate, Ivy Tech State College, 1996
- B.S., Bible and Church Music, Johnson University, 1984
Current Teaching Interest
- Elementary education methods, early childhood education, literacy education
Current Scholarly Interest
- Family literacy, teacher preparation/classroom management, critical literacies
- Honaker, D. (2016). Treasure at Glen Miller Park. Milton, IN: Kids at Heart Publishing.
- Williams, D. (2014) “Think Outside the Box” Indiana Association for the Education of Young Children Annual Conference. Indianapolis, IN.
- McMullen, M., Williams, D., Wood, L., & McCormick, K. (2013). “Ashes! Ashes! We All Fall Down! Art, Play, Literature, Listening & Reflective Dialogue as Responses to Stress & Crisis for Young Children” A Global Gathering for Early Childhood 2013, Dublin, Ireland.
- Buckner, B. & Williams, D. (2012) “Speak Up! Oral Language Activities for Reading and Writing” Indiana Association for the Education of Young Children Annual Conference. Indianapolis, IN.
- Buckner, B. & Williams, D. (2012) “What did you Say? The Relationship of Oral Language to Early Literacy Learning” International Reading Association Annual Conference, Chicago, IL.
- Buckner, B. & Williams, D. (2011) Oral language strategies for supporting reading and writing in the classroom. Indiana State Reading Association Conference. Indianapolis, IN.
- Williams, D. (2011) Experiences, Conversation, and Relationships: The Keys to School Readiness. Whitewater Valley Chapter of the Indiana Association for the Education of Young Children Annual Conference. Richmond, IN.
- 2010-present IUE Admissions and Academic Affairs (AAA) committee, member
- 2014-present IUE One Book, Many Voices Committee member
- 2015-present IUE Health and Wellness Committee
- 2015-present IUE School of Education Admissions and Retention committee, Chair
- 2014 – present AERA
- 1995 - present National Association for the Education of Young Children
- 1995 – present Indiana Association for the Education of Young Children
- 1995 – present Whitewater Valley Chapter of the Indiana Association for the Education of Young Children; Public Policy Representative (Spring 2011 – 2012)
- 2000 – present International Literacy Association
- 2010 – present Indiana Early Childhood Public Policy Committee
- Summer 2015 IUE Summer Faculty Fellowship ($7,000) Indiana University East, Richmond, IN
- May 2009 Outstanding Graduate Student, Indiana University East, Richmond, IN
- 2011 Yates, F. & Williams, D. Campus Impact Grant
Selected Previous Employment Positions
- 2005-2009 Elementary Teacher, Crestdale Elementary School
Other positions: Reading Recovery Teacher; Primary Literacy Interventionist
- 2003-2005 Mentor Teacher, Early Childhood Associate online program, Ivy Tech
- 2004-2005 Early Childhood Classroom Teacher, Early Learning and Family Literacy Center
- 2002-2004 Preschool Director/Owner, ABC Preschool & Happy Times Preschool
- 1996-2000 Parent Educator, Birth-to-Five, Inc.