Edwina L. Helton
Professor of English, Director of Graduate Composition Studies, Co-Director of Women's and Gender Studies, and Campus FACET Liaison
Whitewater Hall 269
- Ph.D., English, Miami University.
- M.A. and B.A., English, University of Akron.
- Graduate Certificate in Composition and Rhetoric, University of Akron.
- B.S., Psychology, University of Maryland, European Division, Suffolk, UK.
Current Research and Creative Activity
- Multicultural visual historiographies and the arts
- Romantic period rhetorical histories of stylistics, etiquette, and language development
- Rhetoric of discursive presence, assessments, and online teaching pedagogy
Selected Recent Presentations
- “Publishing for Increasing Student Engagement with Historical Contexts of Course Content.” Lilly Spring International Conference: Evidence Based Teaching and Learning. Bethesda, Maryland, Forthcoming, May, 2015
- “Revisioning the Culture of First-Year Composition Faculty: Implementing Effective Change Following Systematic Assessment Reporting.” Writing Program Administrators national Conference, Normal, Illinois, July, 2014
- “Content Rich Instruction: Publications and Interactive Course Materials for Online Teaching.” Lilly Conference on College and University Teaching and Learning, Traverse City, Michigan, October, 2014
- “Revising and Restructuring The Community of First-Year Composition Faculty: Activism Aimed at Effective Change Following Systematic Assessment Outcomes.” Writing Program Administrators national conference, Savannah, Georgia, July, 2013
Selected Recent Publications
- The Ideology of Early Black American Experience: Civil War and Reconstruction. iBook. 2015.
- Garden Birds in Art: The Bluebird, Chickadee, Sparrow, Swallow, and Wren. iBook. 2014.
- Ansel Adams Japanese - American Relocation And Internment At Manzanar With Historic Camp Films. iBook. 2013
- Birds of Prey: Owl. iBook. 2013
- A Visual History of Child Labor: Crime, Reform, and Government Regulation. 2012
Selected Teaching Awards
- The Frederic Bachman Lieber Memorial Award, Indiana University System-Wide Teaching Award, 2009
- Helen Lees Award for Excellence in Teaching, All Campus Teaching Award, 2004.
- Facet Colloquium on Excellence in Teaching Award, Indiana University System-Wide Award, 2001
- Horizon Award for Excellence in Teaching, All Campus Teaching Award, 1999.
Selected Academic Awards/Grants
- IU FACET Institute Team Leader, Graduate and Retention, 2014-16
- IU System Curriculum Grant for Indiana University East, 2013-14 ($15,000)
- IU FACET Institute Team Leader, High Impact Practices, 2012-14
- WPA Service/Research Award, Nomination, Indiana University East, 2009 (Not pursued)
- Curriculum Development Grant, Indiana University East, 2006 ($7000)
- Arts and Humanities New Frontiers Scholar Grant, Indiana University, 2002-04
- Membership to the Faculty of the Indiana University Graduate School, 2002
- Summer Faculty Fellowship, Indiana University, 1996, 1999
Selected Previous Positions
- Coordinator of Online English Degree, Indiana University East, 2005-2012
- Director of Writing, Indiana University East, 1997-2012.
- Assistant Coordinator of English, Indiana University East, 2000-09.
- Assistant Professor of English, Indiana University Kokomo, 1995-97.