Assistant Professor, School of Education
Tom Raper Hall 353
- Ed.D., Special Education/Educational Psychology, University of Michigan-Dearborn, 2013
- M.A., Liberal Studies, University of Michigan-Dearborn, 2007
- B.A., Art Education/Spanish, Western Michigan University, 2000
Current Teaching Interests
Special education methods, classroom assessment, learning disabilities/mild disabilities
Current Research Interests
Use of visual strategies in instruction for students with learning disabilities, acquisition of foreign language vocabulary by students with learning disabilities, disciplinary equity involving urban students with special education needs.
- Tolbert, J. B., Killu, K., & Lazarus, B. D. (2015). A framework for supporting students with learning disabilities in Spanish courses: Connecting learning characteristics and instructional methods. Theory and Practice in Language Studies, 5(2), 225-234.
- Tolbert, J. B., Lazarus, B. D, & Killu, K. (2015). Guided Visual Vocabulary Practice: Spanish language vocabulary instruction for students with learning disabilities and possibilities beyond the foreign language classroom. Journal of Language Teaching and Research, 6(2), 241-249.
- Tolbert, J.B. (2015). Visual Strategies to Engage All Learners. Learning Disabilities Association of Indiana Annual Conference. Carmel, IN.
- Tolbert, J.B. (2015). Visual Strategies for Students with Learning Disabilities. Michigan Council for Exceptional Children Annual Conference. Grand Rapids, MI.
- Tolbert, J.B. (2014). Guided Visual Vocabulary Practice: Spanish Nouns and Beyond. Michigan Council for Exceptional Children Annual Conference. Grand Rapids, MI.