Joan Esterline Lafuze, Ph.D
Professor of Biology
Whitewater Hall 271
- Ph.D. in Physiology, Indiana University 1981
- M.S. in Physiology, Ball State University 1975
- A.B. in Humanities, Indiana University 1959
- Medical Technology, St. Vincent Hospital 1963
- M.T. (ASCP)
Current Research Interests
Neutrophil Function; Neuroscience (applied to gender issues, dual diagnosis , addictions and psychiatric disorders); Scholarship of Teaching and Learning
- Lafuze, JE. Unveiling the Brain: Gender Matters. Keynote for the 21st Annual Indiana University Women’s and Gender Studies Conference. Richmond, IN. April 3, 2009.
- Schmetzer AD, Lafuze JE, Jack M. Overcoming Stigma: Involving Families in Medical Student and Psychiatry Residency Education. Academic Psychiatry. March-April 2008.
- Chambers, RA, Sajdyk, TJ, Conroy, SK, Lafuze, JE, Fitz, SD,
Shekhar, A. Neonatal Amygdala Lesions Shekhar, A. Neonatal
Amygdala Lesions:Co-occurring Impact on Social/Fear-related Behavior and Cocaine Sensitization in Adult Rats. Behavioral Neuroscience, 2007, Vol. 121, No. 6, 1316-1327.
- Research Associate, Pediatric Hematology/Oncology. Riley Hospital for Children Indianapolis, Indiana.
- Adjunct, Indiana University, School of Nursing;
- Research Associate, Indiana University School of Medicine, Department of Psychiatry
Selected Offices Held in National/International Professional Organizations
- Immediate Past President of the Association for Women In Science (AWIS)
- Family Education Specialist and Past President of NAMI IN. (National Alliance on Mental Illness)
Selected Academic Awards/Recognitions
- Alpha Epsilon Delta Fraternity
- Alpha Lambda Delta Fraternity
- Pamarada Honorary
- Sigma Xi
- Alpha Sigma Lambda
- Trustees Teaching Award (2004)
- Student Choice Award (2004)
- Indiana University Frederic Bachman Lieber Teaching Award (1998)
- Induction into FACET (1993)\
- Norman Skole Service Award (Marion County Mental Health Association) (2004)
- NAMI IN President’s Award (1994)