Susan J Shapiro
Associate Professor of Psychology
Tom Raper Hall 284
- Ph.D. Human Factors Psychology, University of South Dakota, 1990
- M.A. Experimental Psychology, University of South Dakota 1973
- B.A. Psychology University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee, 1972
Current Research Interests
Usability and accessibility of web sites and instructional materials, Pedagogy for online learning
- Shapiro, S. J. (2010, November 6). Everyone is Different: Universal Design of Course Materials Diversity Research and Teaching Symposium, Indiana State University, Terre Haute, Indiana
- Shapiro, S.J. (March 3, 2009) Persuasion and Usability. Indiana Usability Professionals Association. Indianapolis, IN
- Shapiro, S.J.(March 6-7, 2009) Art and Depth Cues. MISTOP (Midwestern Institute for Students and Teachers of Psychology Du Page College)
- Shapiro, S.J. (June 18, 2009) Intro to Web site usability Research Public Workshop Indianapolis, IN June 18, 2009
- Shapiro, S.J. (July 16, 2009) How not to Lie with Statistics. Public Workshop Indianapolis, IN
- Shapiro, S.J. (July 16, 2009) Persuasion and the Web. Public Workshop Indianapolis, IN
- Shapiro, S.J. (November 12, 2009) Environmental Psychology. World Usability Day IUPUI Indianapolis, IN
- Tolley, A, Shapiro, S. J. (2007, February 8-10) American Association of the Behavioral and Social Sciences. Las Vegas, NV.
- Shapiro, S. J. (2004, August 4-6) .Behavioral Neuroscience: The On-line/Off-Line Version The 20th Annual Conference on Distance Learning and Teaching Madison WI,
- Shapiro, S. J, (2003, 2006). Instructor’s Manual for Carlson’s Physiology of Behavior. Allyn & Bacon
Osborn, R. E., Shapiro, S. J., & Clark, K. (2000, October 13-15) Teaching Via Distance: Its not just for Innovators Anymore. Mid-America Conference on Teaching of Psychology at Evansville, IN
- Shapiro, S. J. (2000, April 12-15) "This was my First Time! Technologically Naïve Students and Faculty. 11th International Conference on College Teaching and Learning,
- Shapiro, S. J. (2000, February) Powerful PowerPoint. 7th Annual Midwest Institute for Teachers of Psychology (MITOP) February 25-27, College of DuPage, Glenn Ellyn, IL
- Shapiro, S. J. (1999). The ultimate portable brain model. Benjamin, L. et al. (Eds.) In Activities Handbook for the Teaching of Psychology, Volume 4, Washington, DC: American Psychological Association
- Vetter, R., Ward, C. & Shapiro, S. (Winter, 1995). Guidelines for the Use of Color and Text in Projecting Multimedia Presentations, IEEE Multimedia, 46-55.
- Shapiro, S. J. (1993 November 5). Personal Priorities of Men and Women. Paper Presented at the Indiana Academy of Sciences, West Lafayette, IN,.
Selected Previous Employment Positions
- 1991- Indiana University East, Richmond, IN Associate Professor of Psychology
- 2000- 2004 Indiana University East, Richmond, IN Director of Teaching and Learning Center
- 1986-1991 Mount Marty College, Yankton, SD Associate Professor of Psychology
- 1980-1984 Yankton College, Yankton, SD Assistant Professor of Psychology
Selected Offices Held in National/International Professional Organizations
- HFES - Educator’s Professional Group (Newsletter Editor 1993-1995; Coordinator, Undergraduate Day, 1995, Program Chair 1995-1997)
- Indiana Academy of Sciences (1990-2002 ) (Chair of Psychology Section, 1994 -1995)
Selected Academic Awards/Recognitions
- Shapiro, S. SBC Fellow Grant for implementation of portable laboratory for Behavioral Neuroscience
- Nominated by IUE for an Award for Innovative Excellence In Teaching, Learning, & Technology presented at the 11th International Conference on College Teaching and Learning, April 12-15th, 2000
- TERA (Teaching Excellence) Award for 1996
- Development of a Computer Based Introductory/General Psychology Course. Summer Faculty Fellowship, Indiana University East, 1995.
- Faculty Development Grant for Distance Learning from the President's Council on the Arts and Sciences, 1994.
- Selected for FACET (Faculty Colloquium on Excellence in Teaching) Indiana University, 1993.
- Certified Gerontologist, Gerontology Association for Training and Education. 1990