Associate Professor of English
Director of the Honors Program
Whitewater Hall 277
- PhD in English, Baylor University, 2012.
- BS in English & Elementary/Middle Education, Frostburg State University, 2004.
Current Research Interests
American Literature and Poetry, Environmental Literature, Ethnic & Minority Literature, Literary History and Theory, Interdisciplinary Studies, Nathaniel Hawthorne and His Contemporaries
Selected Publications and Presentations
- Scribes of Nature: Writing the Environment in Nineteenth-Century American Literature. Ed. Steven Petersheim and MP Jones III. Lanham, MD: Lexington Books. [book under contract]
- Encyclopedia Entries for "Bernd Peyer. The Elders Wrote: An Anthology of Early Prose by Native American Indians," "Iroquois Creation Story, by David Cusick," Nathaniel Hawthorne's "My Trip to Niagara," The Blithedale Romance, and The Scarlet Letter. In Encyclopedia of the Environment in American Literature. Geoff Hamilton and Brian Jones, Eds. Jefferson, NC: McFarland, 2013. 146-50, 166-67, 247-49.
- "'Legitimate Strokes of Humor' in Hawthorne's Early Picaresque Tales." Nathaniel Hawthorne Review 39.2 (2013): 60-77.
- "Interpreting Nature in Hawthorne’s Romances." Invited Paper Presented at Nineteenth-Century Research Seminar, Baylor University. Waco, TX. March 23, 2012.
Selected Previous Employment
- Baylor University, Waco, TX. Instructor of English. 2008-2012.
- Northern Middle School (Garrett County Public Schools), Accident, MD. 8th Grade English Lang. Arts. 2004-2007.
Selected National Professional Organization Membership
- Association for the Study of Literature and the Environment
- Modern Language Association
- Nathaniel Hawthorne Society
Selected Academic Awards and Honors
- 2014 Recipient. Summer Faculty Fellowship. Indiana University East
- 2014 Recipient. Progress Award for New Faculty. Indiana University East