Assistant Professor in Physics
Whitewater Hall 200C
- Ed.D., Science (Physics, Astronomy & Chemistry), Ball State University, 2016 (ABD)
- Certificate in College and University Teaching, Ball State University, 2015
- M.S., Astrophysics, Iowa State University, 2008
- B.S., Physics and Mathematics, Indiana State University, 2005
Current Research Interests
- Observational Astronomy
- Peculiar Velocity Structures in Galaxy Clusters
- High-Precision Variable Star Photometry
- Educational Research in the Physical Sciences
- Pedagogical Methods including Corequisite/Concurrent Enrollment Strategies
- Online and Technological Methods of Instruction using NROC, OER, QM, PhET, etc.
- Statistical Modeling and Analysis
- Tobin, R.W. and R.C. Berrington. A Study of the Velocity Structures in Abell 154, 2013, Fall Regional APS Meeting.
- Tobin, R.W. and R.C. Berrington, A Study of the Velocity Structure in Abell 71, Abell 104, and Abell 154. 2010, BAAS 42, 385.
- Gonzalez, G., M.K. Carlson and R.W. Tobin. Parent Stars of Extrasolar Planets. XI. Trends with Condensation Temperature Revisited, 2010, MNRAS 407, 314-320.
- Gonzalez, G., M.K. Carlson and R.W. Tobin. Parent Stars of Extrasolar Planets. X. Lithium Abundances and vsini Revisited, 2010, MNRAS 403, 1368-1380.
- Tobin, R.W. and R.C. Berrington. The Search for Substructure in Rich Galaxy Clusters, 2009, Fall Indiana Academy of Science Meeting.
- Tobin, Ryan Wesley. Photometric Variability of Sun-like Stars in the Old Open Cluster M67, 2008, Thesis, Iowa State University.
- Tobin, R.W. Basics of Mathematica, 2007, Iowa State University.
- Tobin, R. Wesley and J. West. Closed Orbits about a Massive Thin Ring, 2006, Eur. J. Phys. 27, 215-223.