Registering for Classes
In order to be enrolled in a class, you must first "register" for it. Registration can be accomplished online at One.IU
1. Have you been admitted to IU East?
If you have never attended Indiana University East (or any other IU campus), you need to apply for admission. The earlier you apply, the earlier you will be able to register for classes. Please visit the Office of Admissions in Whitewater Hall, Rm. 151 or contact an admissions representative at 800.959.3278/765.973.8208 e-mail at email@example.com. You may apply to IU East on the web. New students are required to attend orientation.
If you currently use One.IU, Canvas, IU e-mail, or any of the lab computers at IU East, then you already have an active network ID and passphrase.
If you do not have a network ID and passphrase, or have forgotten your ID and passphrase:
- Open a web browser, navigate to One.IU (https://one.iu.edu/), then search on "passphrase."
- Select "Create My First IU Account" or "Passphrase Reset"
- Or, take a photo ID to the IT Help Desk, Hayes Hall, Rm. 169, and ask for assistance.
3. Did you set up an IU East e-mail account?
You will have access to this once you have activated your IU account or have verified your network ID and passphrase.
To verify your IU e-mail account, navigate to One.IU (https://one.iu.edu/), then click on either Email (Umail) or Email (Exchange).
Campus notifications and updates will be delivered to students via their IU e-mail account.
Top of Page
4. Determine when you registerDepending on how many credit hours you already have, you may qualify for early registration. Students further along in their degree program are given priority because of the greater need to get into classes required for graduation.
Top of Page
- Fall 2015: Open registration begins on Friday, March 27, 2015 and runs through Sunday, August 23, 2015.
- Spring 2016: Open registration begins on Monday, October 26, 2015 and runs through Sunday, January 10, 2016.
- Summer 2016: Open registration begins on Monday, October 26, 2015 and runs through Sunday, May 15, 2016.
Top of Page
- Fall 2015: Late registration begins on Monday, August 24, 2015 and runs through Sunday, August 30, 2015.
- Spring 2016: Late registration begins on Monday, January 11, 2016 and runs through Sunday, January 17, 2016.
- Summer 2016: Late registration begins on Monday, May 16, 2016 and runs through Sunday, May 22, 2016.
5. Meet with your academic advisor
- Review the online schedule of classes or through One.IU
- If academic advising is required for your program, then schedule a time to meet with your advisor prior to registering. Your academic advisor will assist you in selecting classes that meet your educational needs and degree requirements.
Top of Page
You have multiple ways you can register for classes. All of the options for registration are located in the Student Center. Tools that will assist you with registration are in the Enrollment Shopping Cart, Academic Planning, and Register & Drop/Add links. Each of the methods is similar. You can add classes you want to take to the Enrollment Shopping Cart prior to your registration appointment. When it’s time to register you can enroll directly from classes stored in your Enrollment Shopping Cart. You can use classes from the Planner to perform a Class Search for the term of interest.
Top of Page
- A planning tool that allows you to do both short term and long term course planning.
- You can assign planned classes to current, future, or undecided semesters.
- When you add classes to your planner, they are saved for later enrollment and when your are ready, you can enroll in classes directly from the planner
- When you find classes that interest you, you can add them to your shopping cart.
- Classes will remain in your Shopping Cart through the end of this semester
- You can use the Shopping Cart as a wish list. Put classes into your cart then return later and either delete the classes you don’t want, or quickly enroll in the classes you want from your cart.
Top of Page
Accessing the Student Center
- Navigate to One.IU ~ Office of the Registrar Student Services https://one.iu.edu/collection/iue/registrar-iueast
- Click on Go to Student Center.
Registering from the Enrollment Shopping Cart
- When you click the Enrollment Shopping Cart link, you will see an initial information screen. Please read this information to familiarize yourself with these new registration features.
- Click “next >>”
- Make any needed changes or additions to your addresses.
- Click “next >>”
- Review the Optional Services, select any that are of interest to you and then click “next >>”.
- If you are prompted to select a term, select the term for which you want to register.
- Under the Add Classes to Shopping Cart heading, click the Class Search button.
- Enter the Course Subject, for example ENG-W or click to search for the subject in an alphabetical list.
- Enter the Course Number, for example 131 or you can search without a course number.
- The “Show Open Classes Only” criteria is automatically selected. If you want to see both open and closed classes, uncheck the box. If you wish to further limit your search, select to check for class permissions or to avoid time conflicts.
- You may access more search options to narrow your search results by clicking on “>Additional Search Criteria”.
- Click “Search”.
- For more information about a specific class, click the “Details” button.
- When you find the class that fits your schedule, click “Select Class”.
- If your campus uses Waitlists, the Waitlist box will display. The Waitlist box is not needed unless the class you want is closed – and you have searched for closed classes.
- For a waitlisted class, if there is a class you wish to drop if you successfully add this class, simply select the class from your schedule.
- If you want to add this class to your shopping cart, click “Add To Shopping Cart”.
- Repeat the process from step 3 down until you have added all the classes you want to add to your shopping cart. Classes will remain in your shopping cart through the end of this semester unless used to register.
- The Status column updates dynamically every time you view your shopping cart showing you if the class is open or closed.
- Prior to your enrollment time, you can check to see if these classes have time conflicts, or unmet requisites or require class permission to enroll. Select the classes in which you want to enroll and click “Validate”.
- Review the validation results shown for possible action, then click “Shopping Cart”.
- If you are ready to register for these classes and your enrollment appointment time has arrived, select the classes in which you want to enroll and click “Enroll” to complete the registration process for these classes. If you are not able to register now, once you are ready you can do so by using the Enrollment Shopping Cart or you can choose Register and Drop/Add from the Student Center.
- If you select Register & Drop/Add from the Student Center, you will see a screen that will permit you to register directly from your shopping cart.
- If you wish to select a class from your Planner or from the Class Search option, simply select the appropriate radio buttons.
- If you wish to enroll in ALL of your classes that are in your Enrollment Shopping Cart, click “Click to enroll in class(es) in your shopping cart.”
- Whether you register through the Enrollment Shopping Cart or Register & Drop/Add, the following will be the same.
- You will receive the “Confirm Classes” page. Note the Status icons.
- To complete the enrollment process, click “Finish Enrolling”.
- Next, you will see the enrollment “View Results” page. Watch for the possible X Error and accompanying message.
NOTE: Courses with errors will be automatically placed in our Enrollment Shopping Cart. You may take action to correct and enroll in them later, if desired.
- Note the “Success” message and the green check marks in the Status column.
- To view your class schedule, click “My Class Schedule”.
- You will now see your class schedule with the status of Enrolled.
- To add additional classes after you’ve enrolled, click Add.
- Click the Class Search button and continue from step 6 above.
Dropping a Class
- To drop a class, click Register & Drop/Add from the Student Center main page.
- Click Drop.
- Select the class to be dropped.
- Click “Drop Selected Classes”.
- A Confirm your selection page will display. If the confirmation page is correct, click “Finish Dropping”.
- Note the Status column to be sure this was successful.
- To view your schedule after dropping the class, click “My Class Schedule”.
- Dropped classes will be indicated by the word “Withdrawn” in the Status field.
When you don’t want to drop an enrolled class until you are safely enrolled in a new class, when you are changing sections of the same course, or if you are already at or near your maximum number of credits allowed, you may want to use the Swap feature.
- To swap a class, click Register & Drop/Add from the Student Center main page.
- Click Swap.
- Select the class you want to remove from your schedule and either select a replacement from your shopping cart or use Class Search or My Planner to choose a replacement.
- You will receive a confirmation page.
- Once you have confirmed the classes you want to swap, click “Finish Swapping”.
- The class swap is now complete and you can view your class schedule
Using the Planner
The Planner is a tool for you to use in building a list of classes that will meet your academic objectives. Only you may add or edit the information in your Planner. Academic Advisors and Administrators have the ability to view what is in your planner.
Your Planner will remain there for you to use, with the information you have placed there, for as long as you are an active student in the IU system. You may plan for a few courses or for a complete degree. Using information from your Academic Advisor or Academic Unit, determine what courses you should plan to take and use the Course Catalog Search button in the Planner to find them and add them to your Planner. You may then assign courses to a given term or leave them unassigned. You may add and remove courses as often as you wish. Note that the availability of a course during any given term is controlled by the academic unit and subject to change. While the Planner can be a useful tool, be sure to check course availability as the desired term approaches as you may need to make alternate plans if it is not offered.
- From the Student Center main page, click the Academic Planning link. This will take you to the initial page in the Planner.
- To place classes in your Planner, click “Course Catalog Search”.
- Select the Institution from the drop down list.
- You may either enter directly or use the search feature to enter Subject and Catalog Number.
- Click “Search”.
- When you find the class you want, click “Add To Planner”.
- Click Return to Planner. If you want a class other than this or wish to add another class you can do that from here.
- To remove a class from your Planner, click the trash can icon beside the appropriate class in the Delete column.
- To move classes to a specific term, select the desired classes (by clicking the checkbox in the Select column), select the appropriate term and click “Move”.
- Continue this process until all the classes you want to put in each term have been placed. You may also leave classes unassigned.
Registering from the Planner
- Click Register & Drop/Add from Student Center
- Select the desired Term.
- Click “Continue”.
- To register from the planner, click the My Planner radio button.
- This will take you to the Search from My Planner page.
- Courses that are offered in the term you have selected will be indicated with a “Select” button.
- Click “Select” to select the classes in which you want to register.
- You can get a more accurate view of what classes you can take for this Term by selecting any or all the filter boxes and then click “Filter”.
- Click “Select” for the classes in which you want to register.
- To register, click “Enroll Now”.
- From Confirm Classes page click “Finish Enrolling”.
- The enrollment results page will display and you will be able to view your class schedule.