Student Performance Rosters - FLAGS
Fostering Learning, Achievement, and Graduation Success
IU’s Early Student Performance Alert
In support of campus efforts to increase student retention and 4-year
graduation, all faculty teaching undergraduate students are asked to provide
feedback early and often on student attendance/performance in their class.
Feedback from the faculty is accomplished online
using the Student Performance Roster as part of the FLAGS System. Feedback from
the faculty using these rosters allows for quick and intentional intervention
with those students who may need assistance. Based on faculty roster feedback,
reports will be readily available to advisors and other school officials to take
The student performance roster will also be the mechanism for providing reporting attendance for the Financial Aid compliance, as well as enrollment information to the Registrar.
Course Syllabus/Oncourse Class Announcement
Faculty are encouraged to provide an explanation on the class syllabus and/or via an Oncourse announcement. A sample notice is provided here:
This semester I will be using IU’s FLAGS System to provide real-time
feedback on your performance in this course. Periodically throughout the
semester I will be entering data on factors such as your class attendance,
participation, and success with coursework, among other things. This information
will provide feedback on how you are faring in the course and offer you
suggestions on how you might be able to improve your performance.
You will be able to access this information in the One.IU Student Center > My Academics and Grades > My Grades.
Spring 2016 Reporting Periods
- January 16th - 25th
Mandatory reporting period #1
Roster Verification - Compare your One.IU/Faculty Center (SIS) class roster with who is actually attending. Are they attending, but not registered? Are they registered, but not attending? Are they in the correct class section?
- January 26th - February 29th
Early Alert - Please use the Student Performance Roster during this time to report academic performance issues such as missing assignments and poor performance on homework, quizzes, or exams.
- March 1st - 8th
Mandatory reporting period #2
Attendance verification for federal financial aid purposes. (Also serves as initial roster verification for 2nd seven week classes.)
- January 16th - 25th
- Login to One.IU ~> Faculty Services ~> Faculty Center
NOTE: A Performance Roster link will also be available directly from Canvas.
- There will be four areas of assessment for undergraduate students: Attendance, Trends, FLAGS, Recommended Student Actions. Only attendance information will be requested for graduate students as part of the Financial Aid audit.
- Attendance (Attending) may be defaulted in for all students on all rosters by selecting the available default box. Faculty members may then update only those who are not attending before submitting.
- Faculty may save as often as convenient. Each time a roster is submitted, any faculty changes are recorded and available to advisors, support center staff, and students.
- FLAG Early Alert System - Detailed Job Aid
FLAGS INFORMATION FOR ADVISORS & STUDENTS
- Academic advisors will be able to view faculty assessments through One.IU Administrative Center > Academics and Grades > Grades.
- Students will be able to view faculty assessments through One.IU > Student Services page > Student Center > My Academic and Grades > My Grades.
- The assessments are point-in-time semester assessments and not part of the students’ permanent academic record.
Future phases of the FLAGS System include plans for a student survey and more inclusive student data from other University records in an effort to provide a truly complete picture of student expectations and any indicators of potential risk. The intent of the FLAGS System is for specific school officials to have valuable, timely data in hand so intervention may take place assisting our students toward the ultimate goal --- their graduation and continued future learning and success.
Questions about using or viewing the student performance rosters should be directed to Carrie Heller at firstname.lastname@example.org or 765-973-8235.