FLAGS - Student Performance Rosters
Fostering Learning, Achievement, and Graduation Success
IU’s Early Alert
In support of campus efforts to increase student retention and 4-year
graduation, all faculty teaching undergraduate students are asked to provide
feedback early and often on student attendance/performance in their class.
faculty allows for quick and intentional intervention
with those students who may need assistance. Based on faculty roster feedback,
reports will be readily available to advisors and other school officials to take
The student performance roster will also be the mechanism for providing reporting attendance for the Financial Aid compliance, as well as enrollment information to the Registrar.
Course Syllabus ~ Canvas Class Announcement
Faculty are encouraged to provide an explanation on the class syllabus and/or via a Canvas announcement. A sample notice is provided here:
"This semester I will be using IU’s FLAGS System to provide real-time feedback on your performance in this course. Periodically throughout the semester I will be entering data on factors such as your class attendance, participation, and success with coursework, among other things. This information will provide feedback on how you are faring in the course and offer suggestions on how you might be able to improve your performance. You will be able to access this information in One.IU https://one.iu.edu/task/iu/flags-early-alerts."
- New! Faculty may now access their Student Performance Roster via a FLAGS tile in One.IU. Simply navigate to One.IU.edu and search "FLAGS." Select the FLAGS tile and save it as one of your favorites.
- If you are new to campus or need a refresher please take a few minutes to watch the online tutorial.
- All students will receive an email notification if they are reported in FLAGS. This message will direct students to review the FLAGS information through a new FLAGS student tile in One.IU.
- The University College office contacts first-year students who have multiple flags or other at-risk indicators to discuss action items that were recommended in the Student Performance Roster.
- FLAGS data will also be sent to professional advisors for each academic school for follow up as necessary. Please keep in mind that we look for indications of a problem and do not contact students for irregular attendance alone.
- Online instructors – Please determine attendance for the first reporting round by tracking student Canvas login, participation in discussion forums, or submission of early assignments. Also, because FLAGS is used throughout the IU system and we have many students from other campuses enrolled in our online classes, it is possible that you may receive communication from staff members from other campuses. Please provide any follow up information they may be seeking.
Questions about using or viewing FLAGS student performance rosters should be directed to Carrie Reisner at firstname.lastname@example.org or 765-973-8235.