Immunization Compliance Overview
Indiana University policy (Management of Infectious and Communicable Disease PS-EHS-03), effective Fall 2016.
As a student at Indiana University, if you are enrolled in at least one class that meets on campus, you must complete the current immunization compliance requirements before you will be permitted to enroll for your second semester. This will NOT affect registration for your current semester. To comply, you need to provide dates AND proof of immunization, or documentation as to why you could not be immunized before your next registration. A summary of the process is:
- Using the Immunization Compliance page in One.IU, you must provide dates AND upload supporting documentation as proof of immunization for the following diseases:
- Measles (requires two immunizations which will need to be uploaded separately, usually received as MMR)
- Rubella (German measles, usually received as MMR)
- Mumps (usually received as MMR)
- Tetanus-diphtheria-acellular pertussis (Tdap)
- Varicella (chickenpox - requires two immunizations which will need to be uploaded separately)
You must provide both the date you were immunized, and upload documentation that supports that date for each disease.
If you feel you qualify for a medical exemption, you must instead upload one of the following documents using the Immunization Compliance page in One.IU
- Physician's written statement of immunity due to having had the infection
- Statement of contraindication to a vaccine, accompanied by a physician's written statement
- A lab titer test documenting immunity
- A signed statement of religious exemption
HOW TO COMPLY
All new Indiana University students, who are enrolled in at least one on-campus class, must provide dates AND upload supporting documentation as proof of immunization via the Immunization Compliance page in One.IU
Student Compliance via One.IU
- Log into One.IU page (https://one.iu.edu)
- Type "immunization" in the Search Box
- Click the Immunization Compliance task
- Follow the prompts.
State of Indiana Official Immunization Records may be available for Indiana residents via self-service through MyVaxIndiana. The information provided by MyVaxIndiana is supplied by the Children and Hoosier’s Immunization Registry Program (CHIRP). For more information visit the MyVaxIndiana website or contact the following:
MyVaxIndiana Email: MyVaxIndiana@isdh.in.gov
CHIRP Help Desk Email: CHIRP@isdh.in.gov
CHIRP Help Desk Support: 1-888-227-4439
Consult your respective state's immunization registry program. For a list of registry programs by state, go here.
Failure to Comply
Non-compliance warnings for students who do not respond to the early request for immunization data will appear in the registration system when they register for classes and again by email. Registration for the next semester will be prevented for students who fail to comply. In order to maintain the confidentiality of medical record information, immunization data provided to offices other than the School of Nursing or the Center for Health Promotion cannot be used to comply with this state mandated requirement.
** MEDICAL ** Exemption
Documentation from a medical provider is required if you cannot provide the dates and proof of immunizations due to one of the following:
- You have immunity because you had the disease. Documented proof of disease history is considered to be in full compliance with state law. A physician's written statement is required to prove immunity.
- You have laboratory evidence of immune titer.
- You have a contraindication to a vaccine. If a medical contraindication (e.g., allergy to eggs, pregnancy, reaction to vaccine, participation in a current sequence of immunizations, etc.) exists, a written statement from a physician is required to document each specific medical contraindication.
Medical exemption documentation must be uploaded using the Immunization Compliance page in One.IU.
** RELIGIOUS ** Exemption
A religious objection does not exempt a student from immunization unless the exemption is made in writing, and signed by the student. Please note that students filing a religious exemption will be required to leave campus if an outbreak of any listed preventable disease occurs on or near campus.
Requests for religious exemptions must be made in writing and that letter must be uploaded using the Immunization Compliance page in One.IU.
Questions concerning medical exemptions should be directed to the IU East School of Nursing and Health Sciences at (765) 973-8242, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Questions concerning religious exemptions should be directed to the Office of the Registrar/Student Records, Whitewater Hall 116, (765) 973-8270, email@example.com.