Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Abuse Counseling
The Five Course Certificate is for the student pursing a concurrent degree in any area. It is also appropriate for the student who has completed a degree and wishes a concentration in this area. The certificate in Alcohol & Drug Abuse Counseling provides a practice-oriented knowledge base including teaching both concepts and applications.
The major objectives of the certificate program are:
- Preparation of students for employment in substance abuse treatment settings;
- Increase students awareness and understanding of alcohol and other drug abuse in society;
- Provide current information on alcohol and other drug abuse treatment and practice; and
- Provide current information, knowledge and skills in working with substance abusers and their families.
Course Requirements (15 cr)
- HSRV H202 Introduction to Alcohol and Drug Abuse (3 cr)
- HSRV H304 Basic Counseling Skills (SWK S231 for BSW Students) (3 cr) Select any three courses:
- HSRV H 205 Treatment Issues in Alcohol and Drug Abuse (3 cr)
- HSRV H 211 Dynamics of Group Behavior (3 cr)
- HSRV-H 302 Psychological Aspects of Alcohol & Drug Abuse (3 cr)
- HSRV-H 323 Social Systems Aspects of Alcohol & Drug Abuse (3 cr)
- HSRV-H 360 Counseling Substance Abusers & Their Families (3 cr)
- HSRV-H 401 Treatment Seminar in Alcohol and Drug Abuse (3 cr)