Certificate in Gerontology (12 cr)
The Four Course Certificate is for the student pursuing a concurrent degree in any area. It is also appropriate for the student who has completed a degree and wishes a concentration in aging. It can be completed in less than two years.
Growth in the population age 50 and older is increasing demand for people who want to work with or on behalf of this population. The Gerontology Certificate provides students with knowledge and skills in the area of aging and working with people in mid and later life.
Certificates are awarded when classes are completed, even though a student is still working toward a degree.The major objectives of the certificate program are:
- Prepare you for employment in community-based settings which provide services to older persons
- Increase students awareness of the needs of older adults and the implications of an aging population in American society
- Provide current information on gerontology policy and practice issues; and
- Facilitate students in their efforts to gain or increase skills and upgrade knowledge in gerontology.
- HSRV-H 204 Introduction to Gerontology (3 cr)
- PSY-B 354 Adult Development and Aging (3 cr online)
- HSRV-H 301 Service Needs of Older Adults (3 cr)
- HSRV-H 303 Counseling Needs of Older Adults (3cr)
Certificates are awarded when classes are completed, even though a student is still working toward a degree. If you have any additional questions please contact Kim Johnson, firstname.lastname@example.org