Master of Social Work Program (60 cr)
Indiana University East offers a 3 year part-time evening MSW program with a concentration in Mental Health. The program is designed as a cohort model with a new cohort admitted every three years. The current MSW cohort began in 2011, graduating in May 2014. The next MSW cohort will begin in fall 2014.
Advance standing students have achieved a Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) degree, have applied for advance standing, and are accepted into the MSW program as part-time evening MSW students for 2 years. Current students start classes in summer 2012.
Please contact Marlo Dale at email@example.com for more information.
School of Social Work MSW Application
The application for the next cohort will be available upon committee approval (2013). BSW students not accepted for advance standing and any other bachelor degree holding student accepted into the next MSW cohort will begin in fall 2014.
You must apply for Graduate school admission, once accepted you may complete the MSW Application submitting to the School of Social Work as directed.
MSW Programs of Study IU East
- Part-time Evening Program
- Part-time Advanced Standing Program
The Master of Social Work program consists of 60 credit hours of study and field work. The first 30 credit hours are core courses taken by all students, while the second 30 credit hours provide a concentration in interpersonal practice.
MSW 1st or Foundation Year
- Basic, general competence applicable to the broad range of social work practice.
- Basic competence in both interpersonal practice and planning and management practice.
- Basic competence for practice in social-service delivery systems.
MSW 2nd or Concentration Year
Development of more advanced competence in interpersonal practice, mental health, and addictions practice.
Field Practicum Requirements
- A student in the program is required to have field instruction (practicum) in two different agency settings.
- Students in field practicum will follow the work schedule of their field agencies during holiday periods and/or semester recess.
- Field instruction is available only to students who have been admitted as candidates for the Master of Social Work degree.
- Practica are concurrent with course work. A total of 960 clock hours of practicum are required;
- 320 hours in the foundation year,
- and 640 hours in the concentration year.
- Earn at least a C in each graded social work course.
- Maintain a 3.0 cumulative GPA on a 4.0 scale in required social work courses and a 3.0 overall GPA.
- Earn a grade of Satisfactory (S) in all practicum courses;
- to carry out professional activity in conformity with the values and ethics of the profession,
- and to comply with any contract that might have been entered into with the performance review committee.
In the event of failure to meet such requirements, students will be ineligible to continue in the program.
MSW Programs of Study offered by IUPUI
- Two Year Full-time Program
- Advanced Standing Accelerated Full-time Program (one calendar year)
- Part-time Day Program
- Part-time Saturday Program
The MSW degree is open to a wide range of undergraduate degree holders.