A message from Molly Vanderpool, IU East Executive Director of Student Recruitment and Transitions
IU East is taking steps to help you and your students
I hope this message finds you and those close to you in good health. This is certainly a challenging time for all of us. I know that, at a minimum, the COVID-19 pandemic has disrupted our daily lives. I hope that you haven’t been more directly affected.
I know this pandemic has been particularly difficult, or disheartening, for high school seniors. So many of the things they looked forward to – such as commencement, prom, recognition events and athletics – didn’t take place. Despite these disappointments, I’m mindful that many high school seniors continue to plan their future and consider options for earning their college degree.
I want you to know that the IU East Admissions Office is working tirelessly to identify opportunities to make the college decision process more seamless for you and your students. This page is meant to serve as a resource related to our updated policies and procedures. Most important, it is meant to assist you in supporting your high school seniors through the next several months as they make decisions about their future.
Important information includes:
- No Application deadline to apply to IU East. We encourage you to apply by June 1st but there is no deadline. We also have created a COVID-19 Application Fee Waiver for use on the APPLYIU system only. Use code EACOVID for the waiver.
- We have waived the standardized test requirement for applicants as a result of the April and May SAT/ACT tests being canceled. We will review those applicants holistically for admission on a case-by-case basis. These are students who have not completed or taken a standardized test to date.
- New Student Orientation is moving online for all first-year students admitted students for fall 2020. All orientation Sessions this summer will take place completely online. More details will be shared with your students in the coming weeks.
- We have posted a “360 Virtual Tour” video on our website for students hoping to experience IU East. We expect to offer other virtual options as well.
- We have launched sign-ups for virtual face-to-face counseling for your students and parents who want to speak to an admissions counselor about college next steps.
- We will retroactively award and notify qualified admitted students who applied after the February 15th deadline, but before May 1st, with an Admission-Based Award. Qualifying applicants who apply after May 1st will also be considered for these awards until the start of term.
We hope you find these resources helpful as you seek to support your college bound students. Although our team will not be physically in the office during this time, we are ALL fully present and here for you remotely from our homes, Monday thru Friday, from 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM. Please reach out to your assigned admissions counselor, and I am here to support you as well. Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This will continue to be a fluid situation, and we will all get through this together. Know that the IU East Office of Admissions is prepared to do its part to help ensure that the college decision journey remains a profoundly memorable and positive part of your students’ senior year.
Executive Director of Student Recruitment and Transitions
Indiana University East