Introduction to Math Club and Vice President Trevor Boram

Hello, my name is Trevor Boram and I am the vice president of the Indiana University East Math Club. I am a sophomore currently pursuing a B.S. in Mathematics and a B.S. in Biochemistry.  I plan on attending medical school in hopes of becoming a neurologist. Many readers know me from the Math and Science Resource center at IU East as a mentor for upper-level math classes, as well as Chemistry and Physics. Outside of math and science, I enjoy playing lead guitar in my rock band “Gyruss” (find us on facebook), as well as working on classical guitar endeavors, teaching music at a music store named Bach to Rock in Greenville, OH, swimming, and playing Gamecube. I am originally from Arcanum, OH, but I moved to Richmond just a few months ago to be closer to school. In my time here, I have participated in many interesting events in math club, and hopefully many more to come.
Math Club at IUE started some time ago, and has been growing ever since, with students from all levels of math (and differing majors) joining in to hear interesting talks on ideas such as, how to beat the casino, do dogs know Calculus?, and more. One of the best parts of our Math Club is that we have had the opportunity to spread our events to distance student across the United States with our Adobe Connect sessions. Since the Mathematics program is largely online, and has expanded greatly within the past few years, being able to connect with these distance students has given the Math Club a greater reach.
I personally always look forward to Math Club meetings, since they are usually in the Math Center, which is easy to find!  There is often pizza and drinks provided, and I have always found the lectures to be quite interesting. Many students have this false conception that higher-level math is nonsense and has no application to the real world, but guest lecturers and professors continue to prove these students wrong. For example, using probability theory to come with good gambling strategies at the casino to make money is pretty useful if you ask me! Of course, we talk about more than just gambling at our meetings, but also more serious topics like career options, specifically Actuarial Science. Last year, we had an IUE graduate and a Ball State Professor come in and talk about their work in the Actuarial Science field, about what classes we need to take and how the system of Actuarial exams works. In conclusion, Math Club is always an interesting experience whether it is your first meeting or your nth meeting, and I hope to see many new faces as our club expands.

Want more information on the Math Club?  Email our faculty advisor, Roberta Roswell, at rroswell@Indiana.edu or comment below and we can “chat” about it!