Friday, May 10, 2019
(the actual Ceremony begins at 6:00 p.m. PROMPTLY)
at Tiernan Center at Richmond High School
- Arrive at 4:45 p.m. (4:00 p.m. if you are getting pictures taken in the Tiernan Center Lobby).
- Please give all your valuables and personal belongings to a family member or friend to hold.
- Family and friends should go to the Tiernan Center. Cellphones on silent mode please.
- Graduates make your way to the cafeteria.
- No later than 5:00 p.m. all graduates need to be in the RHS cafeteria to line-up.
- Don’t be late!
- Only graduates will be permitted in the cafeteria.
- Each graduate will be given a card. This card has (1) your name; (2) honors designation if applicable; and (3) a number. The number indicates the order in which you line-up with your school (i.e., School of Business, School of Education, School of Nursing, etc.).
- Honors cords will be distributed to Dec. 2018 and May 2019 graduates who qualified for them. Honor cords are to be worn over the left shoulder.
- Service cords will be distributed to military veterans (also to be worn over the left shoulder).
- Tassels on the right. Master’s degree graduates, you may have your tassel on the left.
- When signaled by the Master of Ceremonies, we will march from the RHS cafeteria to the Tiernan Center (this is the “processional”).
- Don’t be late to line-up in the cafeteria! We march when told to march (with or without you).
- Hold on to your name card.
- Follow Master of Ceremonies to the seating area in the Tiernan Center.
- If you are physically able to do so, please remain standing. We will be told when to sit.
Graduates will be invited to the stage to receive congratulatory recognition and their diploma covers.
Precede one row at a time to the stage. Access to the stage will be by the steps on the right (as you face the stage). Walk up the steps and hand your name card to the name reader.
Wait until your name is read before crossing the stage. Your school Dean will congratulate you. Chancellor Cruz-Uribe will congratulate you.
As you descend the steps on the left side of the stage, you will receive a gift from the Alumni Association and pause momentarily for a photo.
Return to your seat and remain standing. Do not sit until your entire row has returned.
- Please note: Diploma covers, presented during the ceremony, will not contain actual diplomas. December graduates should have already received their diplomas. Diplomas for May, June, and August graduates, should be available approximately six weeks after you have been certified for graduation. May, June, and August graduates will be notified via email, by the Office of Student Records, to let them know when their diploma has been placed in the mail.
- All graduates need to return their gown to university personnel in the smaller auxiliary gym immediately following the commencement ceremony. December graduates who may have already received a diploma cover should place their “extra” diploma cover in one of the “Diploma Cover Return” boxes, also located in the auxiliary gym.
Remind your guests about proper crowd etiquette. Please ask them to remain in their seats until the commencement ceremony ends and, if they must go to out to the foyer, that they remain quiet. Thanks!