Financial Aid & Scholarships

Veteran's Benefits

The Process

1.  Apply for Admission to Indiana University East.  Before applying for educational benefits you will want to make sure you have applied to IU East.

2.  Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).  This application is a government mandated form that determines your eligibility for financial aid, including grants and loans.

3.  Obtain academic transcripts from previous institutions.  To earn transfer credit from coursework completed prior to attending IU East, collect your transcripts from previous colleges and any military institutions that can be considered for IU credit.  Provide original transcripts and a copy of your DD 214 discharge documents to the IU East Office of Admissions for evaluation.

  For information on how to obtain transcripts from military service, click on the appropriate link below:

4. Attend New Student or Transfer Student Orientation.  This will provide a great opportunity for you to get better acclimated with the university and its policies.  Also, this will allow time for you to meet with an academic advisor prior to enrolling in courses.  They can assist in ensuring that all courses for which you will request educational benefits will apply to your degree plan, which is a Veterans Affairs requirement.

5.  Apply for Veterans Affairs Benefits.  There are many benefit programs available to veterans. Visit the official GI Bill® Web site to go through a step-by-step process to get an idea of what benefits are best for you, or contact us and we can guide you through the process. You will need to complete one of the following forms online through the Veterans Affairs' VONAPP Web site.

  • VA Form 22-1990: Initial Application for Education Benefits for military members or veterans (Chapters 30, 33, 1606, or 1607)
  • VA Form 22-1990e: For dependents to whom Post 9/11 GI Bill eligibility has been transferred (Chapter 33)
  • VA Form 22-5490: For children of disabled veterans applying initially for the Dependent Education Assistance Program (Chapter 35)
  • VA Form 22-1995: Change in Program/Place of Training, for those who have used the GI Bill at another institution
  • VA Form 22-5495: Change of Place of Training, for those who have used Chapter 35 benefits at another institution
  • If you’ve been discharged from active duty, you will need to provide your VA official with your DD 214. If you have a Notice of Basic Eligibility or College Fund/Kicker Contract from the National Guard or reserves, be sure to submit a copy of these forms to our office as well.

Usually there is an 8- to 12-week wait before you actually receive your benefits. Once they arrive, you’ll have to verify your enrollment monthly via phone at 877-823-2378. or online at the GI Bill Web site. Be sure to contact your VA certifying official if you have any changes in enrollment status.

In order to receive your benefits, you must contact our office. We'll need to collect some information based on your service and benefits. This step lets us know to report your information to Veterans Affairs to complete the process. On-campus students should submit this form in person; distance education students may submit their form via e-mail,, or fax, 765-973-8288. Contact our office for details. You will need to repeat this process each semester you want to receive benefits. It is important to note that your funding will not be released until this final step is completed.

For general information about veterans benefits, see the following links:

Called to Active Duty During the Semester

If you are called to active duty while enrolled at IU East, please visit the official IU Reserves Called to Active Duty policy in regard to course withdrawal and refund of tuition and fees.

Please note: GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).  More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at

Request Information

Thank you so much for your interest in IU East! Please feel free to contact us with any questions at or (765) 973-8208.
Available Contact Fields
Ethnicity (check all that apply)
Available Opportunity Fields
Available Campaign Member Fields
Available Campaign Fields
Required Opportunity Fields (can leave hidden but must stay on the form)
Required Campaign Member Fields (keep hidden but need to keep on form)
Required Campaign Fields (may keep hidden but need to keep on form)