2018 Whitewater Valley Art Competition
Peg Faimon received her Bachelor of Fine Arts from Indiana University and her Master of Fine Arts from Yale University, earning the Norman Ives Memorial Award. She started teaching at Miami University in 1991, where she later served as the chair of the Department of Art and Professor of Graphic Design. At Miami, she also held positions as the co-director of the Armstrong Institute for Interactive Media Studies (AIMS), founding director of the Miami Design Collaborative (MDC), and lead faculty of the graphic design program. In July of 2016, she moved to Indiana University Bloomington to become the founding dean of the newly formed School of Art + Design in the College of Arts and Sciences.
Betsy Stirratt is the founding director of the Grunwald Gallery of Art at Indiana University in Bloomington. As director, she has curated numerous exhibitions including “Personal: Selections from the Robert J. Shiffler Collection,” and “Human Nature.” She has been exhibiting her paintings, books, objects and installations since 1983. Her work has been exhibited widely, including the National Museum of Women in the Arts, Washington; White Columns and Art in General, New York; The Mütter Museum, Philadelphia; among others. She is the recipient of several grants, including a Visual Artist Fellowship from the National Endowment for the Arts and awards from the Indiana Arts Commission and the American Craft Council.
Max Weintraub is director of the art galleries at the Herron School of Art and Design. Weintraub has a Ph.D. in modern and contemporary art from Bryn Mawr College. He has worked in curatorial and educational departments at the Denver Art Museum, the Philadelphia Museum of Art, the Whitney Museum of American Art, and the Museum of Modern Art.
Top 7 Entries, 2018
2018 Whitewater Competition Awards
- 1st Place
- Jennifer Murray - "Cooking Clips" - Acrylic on canvas
- 2nd Place
- Clinton Wood - "Irregular Lot" - Oil on wood panel
- 3rd Place
- Megan Caldwell Chandler - "These Dreams Change" - Turkish map book, acrylic, and collage
- Honorable Mentions
- Tim Norris - "Fire Pits" - Charcoal, pastel, embers, coal particles, polymer clay
- Elena Dahl - "Vestals / Shut That Whole Thing Down/ After Todd Akin" - Silver gelatin print and archival inkjet prints
- John Humphries - "Ananzi and the Elephant" - Watercolor, wood, and thread
- Mia Kaplan - "Fractured Vision" - Steel wire
- Eric Lubrick - "Hey Twin Boy Birthday Cake" - Photograph