Applying to the Honors Program
Welcome! We are glad you are interested in the Honors Program at IU East! This program is available to all eligible students – on campus or online – who have at least two academic years (4 semesters) of academic work remaining. A cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher is expected; however, applications from students with slightly lower GPAs will be considered if you show high intellectual curiosity and strong desire to become actively involved in the community of scholars that make up the Honors Program. If your GPA is lower than expected, you will be expected to explain why we should consider your application, including any special situations that have contributed to a lower GPA than you are capable of achieving.
To Apply: Applications are accepted throughout the year. Applications should be submitted electronically to IUEHonor@iue.edu. Your application should include:
- a completed Application Form (Word Version)
- an electronic copy of your most recent transcript, with GPA clearly identified
- SAT/ACT scores, if available
- TOEFL scores for students whose first language is not English
- a letter of reference from a high school teacher or college instructor who knows your academic ability and has had you in class
- a personal statement, responding to the questions below.*
Personal Statement (500-1000 words)
- What excites you about the Honors Program, and why do you think you are a good candidate for membership?
- What course created a challenge for you this year? How did you handle this challenge?
- What extracurricular activities are you involved in, and how have they contributed to your experience as a student?
- Respond to this scenario: You are captured by pirates who plan to abandon you on a desert island. They have a genie in a bottle and will allow you one wish to ask for something to take with you onto the island. What will you ask for, and why?
For questions about submitting your applications for any of these programs, please contact the campus representative listed above, send us a message at IUEHonor@iue.edu, or contact the Honors Program Director:
- Associate Professor, English
- Director, Honors Program, Honors Program Committee
- Whitewater Hall 273
- Faculty Profile