The Federal Work-Study Program provides jobs for undergraduate and graduate students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay education expenses. Work-study jobs can complement your educational program or career goals by giving you relevant work experience in a professional setting. Campus work-study jobs are flexible and can be scheduled around your classes.
In order to be eligible for work-study, you must...
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The paper form is available from the IU East Office of Financial Aid or it can be completed online. Please note that IU East's Federal School Code is 001811. The FAFSA or renewal FAFSA should be submitted annually by March 1. The Office of Financial Aid will notify you of your work-study eligibility once your FAFSA has been processed.
- Complete the IU East Work-Study Application and the computerized Customer Service Training Program available in the Human Resources Office.
- Find a work-study job. A good place to start is the job boards in the Human Resources Office. You should also watch for other campus job openings and talk to the departments you are interested in working with. You are responsible for securing your own work-study position. Jobs may not be available for all students eligible for work-study positions.
Work-Study Student Eligibility Requirements
Under federal guidelines, a student may be awarded Federal Work-Study only if he or she meets all of the following requirements:
- The student demonstrates financial need as determined by the Office of Financial Aid.
- The student is in good academic standing and is maintaining satisfactory academic progress.
- The student is enrolled on at least a half-time basis (minimum 6 credit hours) per semester during the academic year, or at least 3 credit hours during each summer session.
- The student is a citizen of the United States, a U.S. national, or permanent resident; persons granted asylum by the Immigration and Naturalization Service may also be eligible.
- The student has completed the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, the IU East Financial Aid Certification Form, and the IU East Work-Study Application.