School of Humanities & Social Sciences

Frequently Asked Questions

Find answers to your quick questions here. If you have more in-depth questions please make an appointment by stopping by the HSS Advising Office in Tom Raper Hall room 115 or by calling 765-973-8484, or emailing

Advising & Registration FAQ

Online Only Student FAQ

Academic Planning and Decision Making FAQ

Financial Aid FAQ

Advising & Registration FAQ

Who is my advisor?
You can find your advisor name and contact information in your Student Center. Look for the blue box in the lower right corner labeled "Advisor." The advisor's phone number is listed there. If you click "details" you can access the advisor's email address. If the information directs you to contact your Program Office, call 765-973-8484
How do I set up an appointment?
Use the number or email provided in Student Center "Advisor" box to contact your advisor. If the Advisor box indicates that you should contact your Program Office, call 765-973-8484. You can request a phone appointment or an in person appointment.
What classes should I take?
Use the 4 Year Plan document available on the HSS web page (, or Degree Maps in for your degree program and compare it to your transcript. Your advisor will also discuss your personalized advising sheet during each appointment.
How many credit hours should I take?
Here are some guidelines to consider:
  • If your High School Record was mostly A's and B's & you are NOT working= 15-16 credit hours
    • If you are working 40 hours/week 9 credit hours maximum
    • If you are working 20 hours/week 12 credit hours maximum
  • If your High School Record was mostly B’s and C’s & you are NOT working= 14-15 credit hours
    • If you are working 40 hours/week 6 credit hours maximum
    • If you are working 20 hours/week 9 credit hours maximum
  • If your High School Record was mostly C’s & you are NOT working= 13-14 credit hours
    • If you are working 40 hours/week 6 credit hours maximum
    • If you are working 20 hours/week 9 credit hours maximum
Where can I find course descriptions?
You can find course descriptions by clicking your specific degree program on the HSS website and reviewing the course options: By clicking the hyperlinked course you’ll be able to review the course description.
What is an advising hold?
At IU East, it's important to the faculty and staff that you move through your education in a purposeful, efficient way so we require that each student meet with an academic advisor each term before he or she registers for classes. Within One.IU (, in your Student Center, you will see an Advising Hold. You cannot complete the registration process until you have discussed your academic plans each term. Your advisor will resolve the hold once you have met and discussed your classes.
What is an academic probation hold?
The Dean of Students places this hold on the record of any student with a GPA lower than a 2.0. You need to speak with your advisor to resolve this hold.
I tried to register but it says I have a hold on my record. What do I do?
Determine what hold is blocking you from registration. Login to One.IU ( and select your Student Center (SIS).  If you do not see your Student Center on the home screen search "Student Center" in the search bar at the top of the page.  Once in your Student Center look in the "Holds" box in the upper right corner. Click on Details for each hold item. The hold item details will tell you what you need to do to remove the hold.
Help with common holds:
  • Citizenship Verification: In One.IU ( search "Citizenship Verification".  Select start and follow the instructions on the screen.
  • Immunization Compliance: In One.IU ( search "Immunization Compliance".  Select start and follow the instructions on teh screen. Note: this hold takes 24 hours to be removed from your account!
When can I register?
Check the Academic Calendar each term for Registration dates. You should also be able to see the first date you can enroll in your Student Center. Login to One.IU ( and go to your Student Center. On the right side of the screen under Enrollment Dates you should see the date when you can enter the registration system to enroll. Remember that you'll need to meet with your advisor, to lift the Advising Hold, before the system will allow you to complete the registration process.
How do I register?
Your advisor can help you select courses and sections, but you must register yourself online. Login to One.IU ( and go to Student Center. On the left side of the screen there are links to Enrollment Shopping Cart and also Register & Drop/Add. You can use either tool to register. With each tool, enter the class number or use the Class Search to find your classes. The advanced search allows you to search by subject, professor, time of day, location, mode of instruction (online vs. in person, etc.) and more.
Make sure that you read the screens carefully as you go. If you use the Shopping Cart be sure to click the green "enroll" button to initiate the actual registration process. Otherwise your classes will just sit in your cart and you will NOT be registered.
What if the class says I need permission to enroll?
Read the Class Notes section for the course within the Schedule of Classes to see who you need to contact for permission. It is typically the instructor for the course. If in doubt contact your advisor.
How do I drop a class?
Before dropping a class, the best practice is to meet with an academic advisor and/or a financial aid counselor to determine the consequences of dropping a particular class. Once you are sure you need to drop a class:
  • If you are dropping within the first week of classes, simply go to One.IU (, click on "Go to Student Center", click on the "Register,Drop/Add" link and follow the instructions. After the first week of classes, search for the "Late Drop/Add" in One.IU.
  • In order to receive a W (and avoid getting an automatic F), you must drop before the official Last Day to Withdraw date. Check the Registrar's link to the Academic Calendar for dates. If it is after the drop time, see your academic advisor.
Where can I get a copy of my transcript?
You can get a copy of your unofficial transcript on One.IU (, type "Unofficial Transcript" in the search box at the top.
If you need to have a copy of your official transcript, contact the Registrar's office.
I lost my schedule. Where can I get another copy?
On One.IU (, click on "Student Center" then, "Class Schedule Details".

Online Only Student FAQ

How do I find online only classes?
View this video to watch step-by-step instructions to find online only classes:
Who can I contact if I have questions about Oncourse/Canvas?
The IT Help Desk or Online Success Coaches.
How do I set up a username or passphrase?
Follow this link to set up your username & passphrase:
How do I look up my student ID?
You can look up your student id number here:

Academic Planning & Decision Making FAQ

How do I replace a grade in a class?
See your academic advisor to fill out a grade replacement form and plan to retake the class. More information about grade replacement can be found on the Office of the Registrar and Student Records Policies page
How do I change my major?
Select the major you want and set up an appointment with the advisor for that program. You can call the HSS Office at 765-973-8484 for all HSS degrees. The advisor will discuss the program requirements and help you complete the form required for declaring your new major.
What is the difference between a BA and a BS degree?
Bachelor of Arts (BA) degrees have a significant foreign language requirement. Bachelor of Science (BS) degrees typically require an upper level math course (often Statistics) and several technical or scientific courses instead of a foreign language. You need math for both degrees, but with the BA you may only need to complete one math course.
Contact an advisor for more information.
Where can I find a 4 Year Plan for my degree?
Click on the Academics tab on the IU East web page. Find the HSS degree you are interested in and follow that link to the degree program page. Click on the 4 Year Plan link on the right side of the degree program page. You can also access your Degree Map through One.iu Degree Maps.
How do I complete foreign language placement testing?
You can complete placement testing for Spanish and French at IU East. See this link: Foreign Language Placement Testing at IU East
Where can I find updated information about graduation?
Follow this link to the Office of the Registrar and Student Records for detailed information on graduation information and policies. Graduation Information & Policies
Always continue to communicate with your academic advisor about your status towards graduation.
I'm considering taking some classes online. Is this a good idea?

Successful online students tend to have the following characteristics:

  1. They are strong readers. In many online courses there are heavy reading loads and you must have strong reading comprehension skills in order to digest information efficiently and effectively.
  2. They are strong writers. Most of the communication between students within a class and between a student and an instructor is in writing, so you must be able to communicate clearly and professionally in writing.
  3. They are able to carve out undistracted time for class responsibilities. They are able to find a place to work on course requirements that is free from interruption.
  4. They have the self-discipline to stay on task and keep up with class responsibilities. Procrastinators die long, slow deaths in online courses.
  5. They are very comfortable with learning about and using new software packages and look forward to using technology which may be new to them. Individual course instructors do not provide "How to Use a Computer" instruction in addition to their course content. We have Online Success Coaches to provide support for online students, but if you typically put off or avoid using new technology then online will not be a good fit.

Financial Aid FAQ

Who should I contact about financial aid questions?
Questions about Financial Aid should be directed to the Office of Financial Aid. You can stop by the office located in Whitewater Hall 112 or call 765-973-8206.

Request Information

Thank you so much for your interest in IU East! Please feel free to contact us with any questions at or (765) 973-8208.
Available Contact Fields
Ethnicity (check all that apply)
Available Opportunity Fields
Available Campaign Member Fields
Available Campaign Fields
Required Opportunity Fields (can leave hidden but must stay on the form)
Required Campaign Member Fields (keep hidden but need to keep on form)
Required Campaign Fields (may keep hidden but need to keep on form)

Need assistance with this form?