BA in Spanish Degree (120 cr)
General Education Requirements (30 cr)
Recommended General Education Coursework:
Remaining General Education Requirements can be fulfilled as you and your advisor see fit.
First-Year Seminar (0-3 cr)
A passing grade is required in the First Year Seminar course. This course is mandatory for all beginning freshmen and for transfer students with no more than 12 credit hours of transferring coursework. This course must be taken in the first semester after admission to Indiana University East.
Major Requirements (33 cr)
- SPAN-S275 Introduction to Hispanic Culture
- HISP-S308 Composition and Conversation in Spanish
- SPAN-S326 Introduction to Spanish Linguistics
- SPAN-S360 Introduction to Hispanic Literature
- SPAN-S381 Hispanic Civilization I
- SPAN-S382 Hispanic Civilization II
- SPAN-S383 Hispanic Civilization III
- SPAN-S384 Hispanic Civilization IV
- Choose 6 credits of 300/400-level courses in SPAN or HISP
- SPAN-S498 Capstone Seminar in Spanish
Choose from two tracks:
- Regular Track: At least three credits must be credits obtained as part of an overseas program. These may also include: Internship Program in Spanish (SPAN-S493), Service-Learning in Spanish (SPAN-S370), etc...
- Cultural Immersion Track: At least nine credits must be credits obtained as part of an overseas program. These may also include: Internship Program in Spanish (SPAN-S493), Service-Learning in Spanish (SPAN-S370), etc...
Choose additional courses to reach 120 credit hours total.
A grade of C (2.0) or above is necessary in all English composition courses required for a degree. Students must complete ENG W131 or the equivalent within the first 25 credit hours for which they are enrolled. Students must also complete a second writing course with a C (2.0) or above within the first 50 credit hours for which they are enrolled. This course should prepare students for writing research papers and include at least one method of widely accepted documentation and instruct students in library research skills. All students must complete a culminating writing experience in their major.
General Grade Requirement
No course with a grade below 2.0 (C) will be accepted in the major/concentration area.
A passing grade is required in all other courses. A minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 (C) is required for all courses taken toward a degree.
Required Credit Hours
For a bachelor degree a minimum of 30 hours at the 200 level or above must be completed at Indiana University East. At least 15 hours in the field of concentration must be completed at Indiana University East.