BA in Humanities Degree, Music Concentration (120 cr)
General Education Requirements (30 cr)
Recommended General Education Coursework:
Remaining General Education Requirements can be fulfilled as you and your advisor see fit.
Information Literacy (3 cr)
- CSCI-A110 Introduction to Computers & Computing (or equivalent)
First-Year Seminar (0-3 cr)
A passing grade is required in the First Year Seminar course. This course is mandatory for all beginning freshmen and for transfer students with no more than 12 credit hours of transferring coursework. This course must be taken in the first semester after admission to Indiana University East.
World Languages & Cultures (0-14 cr)
This requirement may be met by our World Language courses in one of the following ways:
- Completing Intermediate II (fourth semester) of a non-English language
- Completing a 300-400 level course in a non-English language, or an approved study abroad course that meets this language requirement
- Receiving credit for non-English language courses via placement exam for Intermediate II (fourth semester)
Music Concentration Requirements (30 cr)
Courses applied to general education or distribution may not be counted toward the concentration. Courses counted toward the concentration must be taken for a letter grade. At least 36 hours of the curriculum must be at the 300 level or higher.
- MUS-P110 Beginning Piano Class (2 cr)
- MUS-T101 Introduction to Music (3 cr) or MUS-T109 Rudiments of Music I (3 cr)
- MUS-T113 Music Theory I (3 cr)
- MUS-T115 Sight-Singing & Aural Perception I (1 cr)
- 100 level Applied Lessons (2 cr)
*Some or all prerequisites may be passed-out of by placement examination. See the coordinator of music for details.
Music Theory (12 cr)
Music History (6 cr)
Music Performance (9 cr)
- 3 semesters of applied lessons at the 300 level or higher.
- Currently available: Flute, Guitar, Piano, Percussion, Saxophone, Trombone, Trumpet, Violin or Voice. See the coordinator of music regarding lessons on other instruments.
- MUS-X095 Performance Class (0 cr) - 3 semesters, taken concurrently with 300-level lessons.
Capstone Project (3 cr)
- MUS-I420 Music Concentration Capstone
Choose additional courses to reach 120 credit hours total.
A grade of C (2.0) or above is necessary in all English composition courses required for a degree. Students must complete ENG W131 or the equivalent within the first 25 credit hours for which they are enrolled. Students must also complete a second writing course with a C (2.0) or above within the first 50 credit hours for which they are enrolled. This course should prepare students for writing research papers and include at least one method of widely accepted documentation and instruct students in library research skills. All students must complete a culminating writing experience in their major.
General Grade Requirement
No course with a grade below 2.0 ( C ) will be accepted in the major/concentration area.
A passing grade is required in all other courses. A minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 (C) is required for all courses taken toward a degree.
Required Credit Hours
For a bachelor degree a minimum of 30 hours at the 200 level or above must be completed at Indiana University East. At least 15 hours in the field of concentration must be completed at Indiana University East.