BS in Sociology Degree (120 cr)
General Education Requirements (30 cr)
General Education course recommendations for this degree:
- Written Communication Skills: ENG-W 270
- Social and Behavioral Ways of Knowing: PSY-P 103 (Required Prerequisite for PSY-P 211)
General Education course requirements for this degree:
Remaining General Education Requirements can be fulfilled as you and your advisor see fit.
First-Year Seminar (0-3 cr)
A passing grade is required in the First Year Seminar course. This course is mandatory for all beginning freshmen and for transfer students with no more than 12 credit hours of transferring coursework. This course must be taken in the first semester after admission to Indiana University East.
Major Requirements (45 cr)
A minimum of 36 credit hours must be taken at the 300 level or above, with at least 18 in the major. No course with a grade below a 2.0 (C) will be accepted in the major/conctration area.
Major Core Requirements (18 cr)
Research Methods Requirements (6 cr)
Choose either the Advanced Sociology Track or the Advanced Anthropology Track:
Advanced Sociology Track (18 cr)
Advanced Anthropology Track (18 cr)
- SOC-S 340 Social Theory (3 cr)
- Choose 2 Anthropology coures at the 200 level, from 2 of 4 subfields (below)
- Choose 2 Anthropology courses at the 300/400 level, from 2 of 4 subfields (below)
- ANTH-A494/A495 Ind. Studies in Anthropology
- ANTH-P 200 Intro to Archaeology
- ANTH-P 210 Life in the Stone Age
- ANTH-P 230 Archaeology of the Ancient Maya
- ANTH-P 301 Archaeological Methods & Analyses
- ANTH-P 360 Prehistory of North America
- ANTH-P 405 Fieldwork in Archaeology
- ANTH-E 200 Social and Cultural Anthropology
- ANTH-E 300 Culture Areas and Ethnic Groups
- ANTH-E 310 Cultures of Africa
- ANTH-E 320 Indians of North America
- ANTH-L 200 Language and Culture
Capstone Course (3 cr)
- BSS-B 490 Senior Seminar
Choose additional courses to reach 120 credit hours total.
A grade of C (2.0) or above is necessary in all English composition courses required for a degree. Students must complete ENG W131 or the equivalent within the first 25 credit hours for which they are enrolled. Students must also complete a second writing course with a C (2.0) or above within the first 50 credit hours for which they are enrolled. This course should prepare students for writing research papers and include at least one method of widely accepted documentation and instruct students in library research skills. All students must complete a culminating writing experience in their major.
General Grade Requirement
No course with a grade below 2.0 (C) will be accepted in the major/concentration area. A passing grade is required in all other courses. A minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 (C) is required for all courses taken toward a degree.
Required Credit Hours
For a bachelor degree a minimum of 30 hours at the 200 level or above must be completed at Indiana University East. At least 15 hours in the field of concentration must be completed at Indiana University East.