Computing Lab Consultants
Lab consultants provide direct support to customers of the computing labs located throughout the campus. They answer questions relating to software applications, resolve printer problems, and maintain the lab environment. Consultants are to provide technical assistance, demonstrate exemplary interpersonal communication skills, be professional at all times, and support and comply with all IU East policies and procedures. All computer labs are open Monday - Thursday 8 am - 9 pm and Friday 8 am - 5 pm.
- Specific responsibilities include answering customer questions, reporting software and hardware problems, enforcing policies, and assisting faculty and staff with projects.
- In addition, all consultants are required to read their electronic mail which pertains to student consulting services a minimum of once every 48 hours and be familiar with any information received in the weekly newsletter.
- In support of these responsibilities, consultants will learn and implement all procedures at the sites, and will develop and maintain both a specified level of expertise in applications and a proactive ownership of customer support issues.
- Proactive and friendly customer service attitude
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills
- Professional attitude and demeanor
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Familiar with Windows operating environment and common software applications such as Office, Outlook, and Internet Explorer.
- Ability to work a minimum of 12 hours per week
Consultants are assigned shifts at the beginning of the semester and retain these shifts for the entire semester.
Lab consultants are paid $10.15 per hour. Indiana University part-time hourly employees are paid on an hourly, bi-weekly basis, with no remission of academic fees and no commitment to continuous employment.