Deployment, Leave of Absence or Withdrawal

Military Reservists Called to Active Duty

Indiana University realizes students who are members of the U.S. armed forces may be called to active duty, specialized training, or as part of disaster relief efforts with little notice. While the following policy does NOT pertain to initial active duty training (i.e. basic training), this policy is provided in order to minimize disruptions or inconveniences for students fulfilling their unanticipated U.S. military responsibilities in the midst of an academic term/session.

Student Options

  • Any student called to active duty, specialized training or as part of disaster relief efforts may withdraw from all courses and receive a 100% refund of tuition and fees.
  • With the permission of the instructor(s), a student may receive an incomplete or a final grade in some or all of the courses taken.

Either option may occur anytime during the semester through the end of final examinations. If the withdrawal is processed after the first week of classes, the grade of W will be assigned. Students receiving financial aid will be subject to the refund policies as provided for by the agencies sponsoring the aid.

The request to withdraw needs to be made within one week of official notification by the military service and may be made by either the student or other responsible party who has the student’s military information.

Submitting Request for Withdrawal

Students who wish to withdraw from courses as a result of being called to active duty, specialized training, or disaster relief efforts must provide a copy of their orders to the Registrar’s Office (WZ 116), earecord(Replace this parenthesis with the @ sign), along with a signed note asking to be withdrawn.

The Office of the Registrar provides a one-point-of-contact process for withdrawals so students won’t need to visit various offices. Students or other responsible parties may wish to contact the Registrar’s Office first to begin the withdrawal process based on some official military documentation, with the understanding that a copy of the orders would need to be forthcoming.

Students who cannot enroll for a future term or who need to withdraw from a current term due to military commitments can also be placed on a military leave of absence that will extend access to their IU computer and email accounts while they are gone. A copy of orders provided to the Registrar’s Office (WZ 116), earecord(Replace this parenthesis with the @ sign), will initiate this action.


If you have questions about this process or need to request withdrawal from classes due to military orders, please contact:

Angela Locke, Assistant Registrar
Indiana University East
Whitewater Hall, 116G
2325 Chester Blvd.
Richmond, IN 47374
Toll Free: (800) 959-EAST
Email: earecord(Replace this parenthesis with the @ sign)

Taking Courses While Deployed

Some students elect to take courses while deployed. Please check with your academic advisor in advance to determine whether your degree program will accept independent study or online courses.

Your options for completing any remaining coursework vary greatly depending on your individual situation, timing, and remaining requirements. Your first step should always be to discuss your situation with your faculty instructor. Some students are able to negotiate the completion of all course requirements with their instructors, despite their absence. Others may be offered incompletes that must be finished within one calendar year of the end of the term of enrollment. In other cases, it may be in your best interest to withdraw from the course.

Return from Military Duty

When you return from active duty, and are ready to resume your studies at Indiana University East, please contact the Office of the Registrar, earecord(Replace this parenthesis with the @ sign)  Please explain to the staff person you need to be “reinstated after absence due to military duty.”  This information will be helpful in getting your reinstatement to IU East expedited.  Once reinstated, you will be able to register for classes via OneIU.

Once you are registered for classes, contact the Office of Financial Aid to request that your enrollment be reported to Veterans Affairs for benefits.  You will need to forward a copy of any new DD 214 discharge documents to the VA for evaluation. This may change which program you are eligible for, or your tier of benefits. The Office of Financial Aid can also assist you with this process.